I s Benchmark the "Benchmark"

Benchmark DACs and other products always seem to get a good and widespread positive buzz as being on the cutting edge technically and moving the ball forward every few years as well.

As one who has never knowingly heard a BEnchmark product I wonder what Audiogoner's who have heard current Benchmark products, amps and DACS mainly, think of BEnchmark compared to their other favorites?

Benchmark gear is modest cost in these parts. Is Benchmark really a "benchmark" for performance and associated good sound or just another player.
128x128mapman

Showing 1 response by dhl93449

I just bought a Benchmark A/D converter after having a very long conversation with a tech at Benchmark. I had previously bought a Tascam DA-3000 which has a very poor sounding analog front end. I plan to use the Benchmark to do the A/D conversion, and feed the digital to the Tascam. Then let the Tascam generate the digital WAV files from the 24 bit/96K digital stream from the Benchmark.

The benchmark does not use a discrete component analog front end like the Ayre, but they do use some of the best sounding opamps in use currently. AD797s (John Curl's reportedly favorite opamp) and LME49860. They also use a minimum of coupling caps that are triple bypassed with NPO ceramics.

I will be testing this setup in the next few days and report back. I was impressed by the Benchmark tech as he really new nitty gritty details of their product, and emphasized they do a lot of listening in the design process (they are not just "pro-sumer" like Tascam, Berringer, and other companies).