I love sad music

I'm talking about music that when you're feeling down will make you feel worse. I don't want uplifting or inspirational. Some of Chopin's more melancholic works can do it for me.  I don't listen to country, but George Jones singing "It's a good day for the roses" is about as sad a song as you will find. Leonard Cohen's "Alexandra leaving" is another sad song. I have everything Davis and Coltrane recorded, so I'm looking for recommendations for the most beautiful but depressing music you've ever heard. I want to hear a violin, my favorite instrument, that will bring tears to your eyes. I know this is a strange request but some of the best music comes from dark places. Thanks
cal91
I appreciated music the most was when I was in the deepest depression.
You are right for sure in my case...

Tough i will differentiate, depression and anxiety and panick attack...

In depression any beloved piece of music will be soothing even therapeutical...

In anxiety the soul can also be relieved but not so easily and at the same level by our ordinary best composer or jazz etc...Panick attack are case of extreme concentrate anxiety and normal favorite music will not do the job with enough power in most cases ...

But there exist very efficient sounds and pulsated frequencies, or musical creations that are specialized for that with varied but powerful efficiency....And this work very well...

This is a testimony not only of the power of music, but in the case of acute anxiety to the power of frequencies harmonies and pulsations which will cure the soul and liberate the spirit....

But this fact is not so well known in the general population, especially for those who dont suffer any acute anxiety....Only mild depression or strong depression....Depression and anxiety are not the same diseases so to speak...The can be induced by the body or by the soul in the beginning or even by the 2 at the same time....

I was using myself this frequencies in the past with great success at moment when even my beloved Bach or anything else could work....

When anxiety engulf you the least thing possible sometimes is listening music.... The reason is simple, you dont have the energy level no more to sustain any attention and concentration at all for any melodic or complex harmony and any effort is impossible... Anxiety paralyse the body, the soul and the spirit....

Then the solution is exploring the world of therapeutical frequencies.... These will work on the body first, and also on the soul and the spirit.... It is so powerful that it is better than any pills whatsoever...Good bye doctor in most cases... 😛😎

The lesson is this for any audiophile:
The music you have learn to like and you are in the habit to listen to is very powerful and unbeknownst to you, the frequencies or the rythmic pattern of the music will greatly affect your entity, but you will not detect it being healthy or young.... Choose wisely what you listen to.... Any taste is born with a learning conditioned habit...

In fact ultimately and at the end there is no "taste" that pilot us in music, it is our body, soul and spirit who ask for the set of frequencies which we had learn to lik, which set that now sustain our body/soul/spirit or sustain especially some part or aspect of them at the expanse of other one ....

Music is  powerful at the same level than  many substance, even LSD, but way less spectacular at first, the effect of music appear mostly diluted in a greater span of time ... Gregorian chant for example can work miracles even just hearing them without even listen to them ....Gregorian chant and mantras are 2 examples of some music very efficient for anxiety....But therapeutical specialized frequencies will do even better, especially with Om and Christ mantras that would also complete the job so to speak....

For depression only, Mozart or Bach or whatever you like will do....Some better than other for sure...

I go on with Pachelbel organ work set and for depression it is miraculous.....What a great composer.....By the way i am not in a depressive state now.....

Happy christmas to all souls, from stones to stars....
😊

How could I forget? Bruce Springsteen's, "One Step Up, Two Steps Back". Seriously despondent
If you are a fan of Leonard Cohen then I suggest you give a good listen to two Jackson Browne albums. The first being For Everyman and the next being Late For The Sky. Both contain achingly beautiful sad music. In many ways I think the first side of For Everyman is the finest first side of an album ever written.  And the classics on Late For The Sky will have you playing them over and over. 
Almost anything by Richard Thompson, but check out Waltzing's for Dreamers, Aly Bain's fiddle will break your heart. 
Steve Young's take on "All Your Stories" by Jesse Winchester.
Emmylou Harris' versions of "Sweet Dreams" (Elite Hotel), "Too Far Gone" (Pieces of The Sky), "Making Believe" & "When I Stop Dreaming" (Luxury Liner).
The Seldom Scene doing "Wait A Minute" by Herb Pedersen on "Old Train".
Merle Haggard: "What Am I Gonna Do"
Otis Redding: "Loving You Too Long", "Dreams To Remember"
– this could be an endless list: somehow sad songs seems to have a direct connection to the heart strings, hurting so bad it feels "good".
BTW: emrofsemanon – Yoshikazu Meru sings "Solveig's song" (Solveigs sang) in its original language – Norwegian.