I Have 100K for Speakers?

I saw a post today that caught my eye. New to the hobby and is looking t0 spend 50-100k for speakers. At that point is how far are we into "return on investment". There has to be a point where the $$ spent has no relation to the sound you get. I'm just questioning the point as to when does this get kind of silly..No?
zigonht

Showing 3 responses by pubul57

It gets silly when you are new to the hobby and are thinking of spending 50-100K on speakers. Great systems come from experience - throwing money at building a system often ends up in very dissapointing results. I rememeber a fellow who knew nothing about audio, but made a killing in stocks in the early 80s computer boom - I went to his house to listen to his $200,000 system, I did not have the heart to tell him that it was all I could do to not run out of the room.
Yoou can easily find SOTA speakers for 30k or considerably less; the rest is vanity.
I don't think there is anything wrong with spending 100K on speakers if you have the money and you get 100k sound - even in terms of diminishing returns; I just don't think you need to spend that to get the best sound available with variations for personal taste - if 30K in today's market can't do it for you in terms of sound quality, your not going to find better sound spending more IMHO.