Hypex Ncore NC400

Really enjoying these, wondering about other's experiences.

Also, has anyone heard bridged NC400s?
nsirkin

Showing 4 responses by tonyangel

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but was wondering if perhaps anyone else had comments about the NC400 module. I'm always keeping an eye out for an amp setup and this caught my attention.

I was first looking at the channel islands models and my search lead me to Hypex. I looked into building a couple of mono blocks using the NC400 modules to be able to get into a Hypex setup and save myself some money. The CI amps were $1600 a pair for the lowest model.

I looked into building my own using the NC400, but with the exchange rate and the VAT, building my own is going to cost more than just buying them from CI.

Any thoughts? Is just buying them pre built a better way to go for a U.S. resident?
My post above was badly written. I must have been half asleep. The current bottom of the line Channel Islands amp (from what I understand) is BASED on a UCD200(?). When researching the amp, I saw the name Hypex pop up so I checked it out, which led me to the NC400.

I may have been trading apples for oranges as the CI unit is based on a Ucd module as opposed to the NC400, but I found the NC400 interesting anyway.

As I said, maybe apples to oranges, but I was wondering if it is just more cost effective to get the CI amps rather than build my own based on the NC400 module. As I said, the modules and power supplies, due to the exchange rate and VAT, aren't inexpensive.

I'm figuring after everything is said and done, it's looking like an NC400 build, done nicely, is going to run about $1K each.
Wilsynet, when you say that the NC series is "better," I take it that you are saying that the NC sounds better. It just seemed to me that the NC products were something put together to accommodate the DIY crowd and not necessarily an advancement in the technology.

In any case, I'm sure that you are right about the value, in light of what many companies are charging for a pair of mono blocks. Still, the Channel Islands units seem to be a good value as well.

I think I'm going to have to join some sort of DIY forum as see what I can find out. I seem to have caught a bug and have it in my head that building a set of amps would be a fun and rewarding thing to do.

What I'm having a hard time with right now deciding between the Icepower and the Hypex modules. It seems that the Icepower stuff is dirt cheap now, relatively speaking, with two channel modules going for $500.
Thanks for setting me straight guys. I was under the incorrect impression that the NC products were an accommodation and of lesser quality than the UcD modules. That in itself tips the scales a tad bit in favor of building my own as opposed to buying a set that is based on the UcD modules.

I am also interested in placing mine in wood cabinets. It would be nice to have amplifiers that actually match my furniture.