How will you split $3000 between phono and cart ?

A jittery situation:
I am looking to buy a phonostage cartridge combination. Budget is $3k for both. I can buy preowned phonostage but cartridge has to be new. TT is a Nouvelle Platine Verdier and tonearm is SME 3012 S2.

Now, I can either go ahead and buy a very good phonostage and a entry-mid level MC cartridge or I buy a very good cartridge and a decent entry-mid level phono. I have listed the possible options:

Option 1:
Choose any of these phonostages:
1. Naim Superline - $2300
2. ZYX Artisan - $2000 (used)
3. 47 labs phonocube - $2500 (used)

Choose any of these cartridges:
1. Ortofon Rondo Red
2. Ortofon 2M Black
3. ZYX R50 Bloom
4. Sumiko Blue point Evo III

Option 2:
Choose any of these phonostages:
1. Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE ($1100)
2. Trigon Advance ($1300)
3. Ray Samuels Nighthawk ($1000)
4. PS Audio GCPH ($1200)

Choose any of these cartridges:
1. ZYX R100 Yatra
2. Ortofon Cadenza Red
3. 47 Labs McBee

You may suggest a combination that is not in this list. I would be happy to research it further. The situation is I have to compromise somewhere, but where ? My TT experience is very limited so is my exposure to analog gears so please help with your experience and suggest what would you pick if you were me.
pani

Showing 3 responses by photon46

Having gone the path of similar considerations, I'd opt for long term happiness and buy as good a phono stage as I'd feel comfortable buying. Then I'd settle for a lesser cartridge at first, knowing I'll upgrade in the future. After all, the stylus does wear out. Rather than any of your fist choices, I'd buy a used/demo Parasound JC-3 or a RCM Sensor Prelude. Mehran at Sorasound might have a demo RCM Sensor available sometimes at your price point. A lower priced phono stage I'd also check out is the Heed Quasar @ $1100.
As someone who appreciates the timing, tone, & timbre virtues of Naim, I suspect you'd greatly appreciate the same virtues evident in the RCM Sensor. The Parasound and RCM both operate in that category of (sorry for the overused, tired phrase) "punching above their weight class." The Parasound offers much higher name recognition, more handsome casework, and convenience of a single chassis. The RCM offers many more adjustments of impedance and gain, a separate power supply, and less appealing looks to my eye. In the end, I chose function over form and went with the RCM.

http://www.rcmaudio.pl/testy/rcm_sensor_review_kilian.pdf
Yes the retail price is $3k, but if you call Mehran at Sorasound in San Francisco, Ca., he might be able to help you with a demo piece. Sometimes, depending on circumstances, some latitude in pricing might be possible. He's a very nice guy and is a great resource for vinyl hardware. I've only seen one for sale used over the years here on Audiogon, so it seems most folks who buy them hang on to them. If the RCM proves not to be option, I'm sure a demo/used Parasound phono stage will pop up for sale and make you very happy.

I've not heard the Naim Superline. As to the ZYX R50 vs. Denon, I can't help you. I'll confess that I'm not that much of a fan of the Denon cartridges I've heard. Right now, the main cartridge I'm using is an Ortofon Kontrapunkt H and will upgrade to a Cadenza black in the future. I could see how someone might prefer a slight bit of additional warmth in the RCM if the rest of the vinyl chain, audio system, or room had any tendency to brightness. I find the RCM a quite neutral conduit. I like the idea of a transparent phono stage and adding needed warmth though your choice of cartridge.