How to respond to those who say it's not a hobby?

I only recently started to get into audio and, although my system is definitely not in the high-end category, I like to think it's a lot better than the components that were replaced My better-half was quite accepting of the initial purchase of a new integrated amp (NAD C370), tuner (C420), speakers (KEF Q5) and interconnects (VDH D-102 III). She definitely heard an improvement over our previous gear.

However, she is now quite opposed to the upgrading of the CD player and the addition of a second amp (bi-amping). I've mentioned that it will likely make a great improvement to our listening enjoyment and hinted that this is a new hobby for me. Essentially, her response was that "spending hundreds of dollars on audio equipment does not qualify as a hobby", since I don't actually create/build/assemble any of it.

Any thoughts out there about how one might respond or convince the nay-sayer otherwise?
mghcanuck

Showing 1 response by stne418

Timing is everything. If money is not a problem then go ahead and FINISH your system and plan on living with it a few years. If you do have a BUDGET and she feels it is not time, then wait. You really do not need to justify your interests in audio/music nor have her validate the interests. Hence do not actively seek her approval of your interests. You can involve her without allowing her involvement to dictate your level of involvement. That said, you do need to stay within the realm of whatever financial agreement you two have for discretionary spending. Timing, timing, timing! If it ain't time...wait.