How to divide up $4,500, Amp/Speakers

I need a new back-end for my system (amp/speakers) and have around $4,500 to spend on used equipment.

Front end is VPI HR-X, Koetsu RSP, JMW 12.5 arm, Herron VTPH-2.

In this price range I think that an integrated tube amp would be better sonically but I am open to suggestions. My room is small (20x12x7.5) so I am tending toward smaller speakers.

I had a pair of Merlin VSM's long ago and either VSM's or TSM's might work well and also fall in this range used.

Assuming $2,000 used could get the Merlins what would be a good integrated tube amp that works well with them?

Main listening is New Orleans funk, blues, jazz and some classical.
jarrett

Showing 3 responses by pubul57

The VSMs with Lightspeed and RM10s are SOTA IMHO (the LS replaced my Joule LA150 SE which is wonderful in its own right), but Clio9 might be right with the output impedance issue, and excellent integrated for the Merlins would be the Manley Stingray (uses EL84s like the RM10s). I personally think the VSMs are among the best 2-way speakers ever made (perfect for my 20x12 room) and if you know you like that sound I would stick with them. Fortuantely, 30-40 tube watts are plenty to drive'm. I'm sure the Jadis mentioned would also work well, but the EL84 tube is pretty special if you can get enough power to drive your speakers. I think the EL34 -based VAC Avatar[?] would also work well (EL34 amps tend to work well with Merlin).
Have you ever heard horns of any kind? Very different than Merlins. Not saying better or worse, but surely different. I do think you have to find the speaker you love, and the worry about the amp, since the speaker is the most influential (other than recording and possibly room)piece of equipment and the sound of your system. Now one advantage of Horns is you can get away with low watts, and that can save you money on the amp side of the equation - but fall in love with a speaker, then....
Yup, I think we have to settle the speaker issue first, but certainly one could build a Merlin based system with good amplification for $4,500 used. Or a Maggie based system, Or.... it is all going to start with the speaker and only OP can answer the question of what type of sound he is looking for - having started with Merlin (a really good start) we can move forward, but every change in speaker changes the equation and if OP never heard the speaker himself, I'm not sure I would every feel comfortable saying one way or another whether a speaker would be good for him. As for horns, the one horn I really liked was that Audiokinesis I heard at RMAF, but not sure if that was a Jazz or Dream Maker or something else, but it sure did sound good with the 30 watt Atma-sphere OTL.