How to divide up $4,500, Amp/Speakers

I need a new back-end for my system (amp/speakers) and have around $4,500 to spend on used equipment.

Front end is VPI HR-X, Koetsu RSP, JMW 12.5 arm, Herron VTPH-2.

In this price range I think that an integrated tube amp would be better sonically but I am open to suggestions. My room is small (20x12x7.5) so I am tending toward smaller speakers.

I had a pair of Merlin VSM's long ago and either VSM's or TSM's might work well and also fall in this range used.

Assuming $2,000 used could get the Merlins what would be a good integrated tube amp that works well with them?

Main listening is New Orleans funk, blues, jazz and some classical.
jarrett

Showing 2 responses by milezone

My personal advice would be:

A pair of Tonian TLD1's or a pair of Quad 57s and a used Almarro 318b or a Transcendent OTL. I don't think it's possible to do better and that will get you very close to as good as it gets. With an added woofer and a couple cap upgrades, you're pretty much there. If you're going with dynamic drivers I would stay in the high efficiency realm as I believe they're physically better. Quad 57s are breathtaking but may be harder to live with long term if thats your plan.
I understand your concerns about electrostats and otls in which case I stand by my suggestion of the TLD1 and an Almarro 318b. That's not to say the es and otl option is a better one. Just different. I think the TLD1's will be more enjoyable to listen to. They can play most music. They are far more detailed in the upper registers -- the modified raven tweeter in it is the best I've heard aside from the Acapella Plasma.

Of speakers at a similar price point, I prefer them over Audionote AN/e's (the pair I heard was a $20,000 version and it quite frankly sucked), spendors harbeths and the likes, klipsch cornwalls, various Zu speakers (far lesser than the TLD1's) and so on. I think in their price point there's nothing close to as good (the same can be said about the Almarro). And frankly the only thing superior in my opinion would require entering into the realm of super expensive compression drivers. Add a pair of TAD or JBL woofers and you're there.

My last thought would be to pickup a pair of Tannoy dual concentrics. They're very easy to live with but are a little less resolving than the Tonians, electrostats, and compression driver based systems.