how much should you spend on cable?

how much does one spend on ic/speaker cable?(%of the entire system)?
let say hypothothetically if you system ( cd, preamp , amp, speaker ) cost 30000? what is a reasonable amount to spend on the ic/speaker cable? 10% 20% 30% or more?
how does my fellow audiophiles balance the equation in their system?
thanks
a1126lin
That's the difference between audiophiles and other people who also have good equipment; we try to extract maximum performance from what we already have.Cables are components and should be treated as such.Generally speaking and operating with m.s.r.prices, I would say 50% the price of CD-player and pre-amp.for 1.0M pair interconnects and 50% the price of speakers for 8'pair of speaker cables is within reason.Personally,I followed this rule for interconnects, and my speaker cables are more expensive than speakers though I bought them for less than third the m.s.r.p., so in fact they are a little less expensive than my speakers.Power cords usually make less profound effect: 10-20% the cost of the component should be enough.
Inna:

"50% the price of speakers for 8'pair of speaker cables is within reason"

I guess I have to disagree. If cables are components they are passive components. A speaker has to transform electrical energy to magnetic energy to mechancial energy to acoustical energy. A cable only needs to transfer the signal. A spending ratio of 2/1, speaker to speaker cable, is pretty crazy if you ask me.

I remain,
Reviving this thread in light of recent discussions here on cabling.  I am currently running two systems.  On my main system, investment in cables is about 20% based on retail prices.  On my secondary system my investment is closer to 40%.  In both cases, I think the cables are appropriate and have increased my enjoyment considerably.  Interested in your thoughts.
I don't even know but I guess I spent less than one percent. Anything more is a waste of money.
It's a little difficult to answer that question because I stopped using cables as well as interconnects and power cords a while back. But good luck with this thread anyway. 😀