How much am I missing with SL1200 mk2?

Hi everybody,

Hope you are enjoying your Labor Day Weekend.

My system is:

Anthem 225i (using phono pre in rec)
Musical Fidelity A5.5 CD player
Usher CP 6311 speakers
Clean SL mk2 with AT cartridge 120e

How much am I missing with my SL opposed to a $1000-$1500 including cartridge more modern setup like Rega RP3, entry Clearaudio, VPI, etc?

I'm pretty happy with the current setup but have been told I am giving up a lot with the SL.

Your opinions are appreciated, just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
uncledemp

Showing 3 responses by ghosthouse

I've owned an SL1210M5G from KAB for a going on10 years now. I've done a number of the same tweaks that Johnny b53 recommends (have not wrapped the tonearm, however). Independent of his suggestions, I ordered my TT from KAB with the fluid damper installed. BUT I didn't actually start using it until a couple of years later. Consequently, I have a good sense of what that will do for the sound. I was already using a heavy hardwood plinth and had replaced stock footers + using other vibration control devices. For me, the fluid damper made a significant improvement to the sound. I'd caution you not to overfill. I only use enough fluid to where the paddle from the tone arm is immersed in it by just a couple of millimeters when the needle is on the record. I also found the Way Excellent TT Mat from Herbies to bring a nice improvement in clarity (am actually using it in conjunction with the heavier Technics rubber mat). It's your money and I'm not trying to say there aren't better TTs out there (especially for more $) but I think you have a good foundation with the SL and tend to agree with those who suggest spending elsewhere. Don't know anything about the Anthem phono pre but maybe that's something to consider...separate, outboard phono pre-amp. Am using a Heed Quasar, myself. Had a Lehmann Black Cube before that. You might benefit by dropping Kevin of KAB an email. He's very practical and down to earth. Good guy to deal with. I like his mod'd. integrated carts. I have a couple of Stanton's from him with vintage Pickering ellipticals. They do take all the hassle out of install and alignment. Might do one of his Ortofons in the future. Right now running a Grado Prestige Black w/8MZ stylus that he installed for me. Enjoying it. Good luck.
Uncle- Your "was just thinking" comments are probably some of the sanest I've read on this forum. The dark side of this hobby touches on addiction...enough is never enough; there's always something better out there for just another $1000 - that is until you decide things ARE "good enough". But that sort of flies in the face of what some here believe it means to be an audiophile. If that is the case I'm happy to say I ain't one and just get on with enjoying the music. Hope you get great pleasure with music from your TT.
Uncle -
Thanks for looking at the system. It's modest compared to some...mid-fi, even - but gives me a lot of enjoyment. Posting it helps anyone reading my comments get an idea where I'm coming from (for better or worse). I do need to update things a bit. Main components are unchanged but I've changed cabling (ICs mainly) and that's made a nice improvement.

Didn't know your Ushers so looked them up...somewhat similar to the Forests in being 2-way floor standers with similar sensitivity, impedance rating and frequency response. BUT the Ushers have fabric dome tweeters. If there's one thing I think could be improved on the Forests, it's the tweeters. They use metal dome and with some recordings (e.g., a few hot, re-mastered CDs, mainly) things can sound a little harsh. Fortunately, that seems true for only a minority of what I listen to and an IC change from the CDP has "tamed" that a good deal. On the other hand, no idea what changing them would do to imaging, speed of attack or dynamics (all very good right now). It's always a balancing act and compromise, leastways at the price points I live at. Anyway, I wouldn't mind hearing those Ushers. Based on the retail pricing I saw for them, looks like you get a lot for the money.