How does one (grow) as a music listener/lover?

Passion for music has to be first and foremost.

I, like many of you have had my greatest experiences and (new) musical experiences, solely because of my home audio system. If not for this "passion", then my acting on that passion in the form of a qualilty home music reproduction system, I would have never enjoyed the music I was always fond of, but maybe, more importantly, music I was now willing to discover. I believe this maybe the most important aspect, for me..this, newfound, willingness to discover music I never would have even given much of a thought to............

128x128slaw

Showing 1 response by jim204

I find as I grow older that I am now willing to experience new for me composers that I would never have thought of before . When I was young I only listened to a very small spectrum of music from the so called Great Composers and even that was quite limited. What really broadened my horisons was when I started taking in subsrciption Orchestral concerts and you maybe had one work on it that you wanted to hear but another two things you never had heard before. Now maybe on that one night you would hear those two strange "to you" works and you would quite like one or even the two of them. That then made me look out for new works from that new composer and then as there was no internet or you tube to pre listen to something you had to buy a vinyl disc of the work and as I was just an apprentice then it meant I had no money sometimes for the rest of the week. So sometimes it was a wonderful new discovery or a very expensive and hunger inducing mistake. Now it is a great thing to spend a couple of hours on You Tube searching out works from other composers that I may have heard on radio and that then makes me buy either a CD or a Hi Rez download and move on from there. Just when you have thought that there was no promising new music for you up pops some new piano recital or symphony and away you go again. I have been doing this for over fifty years and I hope to be doing it a lot longer if I am allowed. Enjoy your muic whatever the genre.