How do you ship heavy oversized speakers

I have some heavy (120 lbs each) and oversized (60"x22"x8") speakers that I need shipped to me (I bought them, and I am not doing the packing) The weight is borderline for UPS and FEDEX GROUND but the size will be bigger than allowable (130" for Length + Girth) once packing materials are added. What have you done in the past for these larger speakers? Pick-up is not an option as they are in CA and I am in WI. For some odd reason FED-EX 3 day air might work, they allow 165" total dimensions, but it will be close to $200 per speaker, not including packing. I would prefer the $60-$90 per speaker that UPS and FEDEX Ground would charge if the package was just a hair smaller. PLUS has anyone used any shipping services that do the packing for you? What are the costs and experiences you have had? I need help as soon as possible on this, thanks!!!!!
a71spud

Showing 1 response by 3728slingshot

I regularly ship confin sized containers of fragile upholstery on Northwest Air Cargo. Rates are reasonalble ... service is outstanding. Be careful with air services that use passenger jets to transport materials. If the box is too large for the cargo hold of the jet flying your direct route, it will either get routed on larger equipment through an alternate route or get TRUCKED to an airport that has larger jets flying the route to you destination. Asking up front is very important. Burlington Air is also an amazing service ... I've managed to get race engines delivered door to door, same day, Miami to NY!!