How do you 'listen' to new music?

Coming new to classical and jazz music (many years ago) I was overwhelmed. I'd sit and listen and except for the simplist of pieces, full of melody, I just didn't get it. I found it necessary to devote a lot of time and effort to get to an appreciation of the music. Too much like work!

Some where along the line I decided not to work so hard. I'd buy a piece and just let it play as I did other things (as I am doing now) and letting myself become accoustomed to it. When I finally no longer found it indecipherable, and was finding it pleasant/comprehensible, I would then sit and really listen to it. If after playing it a few times it still didn't do anything for me, I'd put it away for a few years and then drag it back out.

Is this pecular to me? How have others made the cross over into jazz and classical music?
newbee

Showing 3 responses by robm321

That's a great question!

With Classical you'll have to understand what is expected (which takes work). You can enjoy the melodies, but you'll have to know how composers work within guidelines to come up with something new and unexpected, yet satisfying, terrifying, etc. Obviously, there is more to it than that, but it does take understanding the background and how it was developed.

Jazz is something that's hard to nail down also, but it's modern enough that you can just listen to some of the original stuff and understand it right off the bat.

But what the heck do I know. There has to be someone who could explain these types of music better than I just did.

Rob
Oh I forgot to mention:

"The Joy of Music" by Leonard Bernstein is a great book that talks about Music including Jazz and Classical.

Rob
Tim,

I think most people are like that. One nice thing these days is that you can download a song (or sample) and test it out before you buy a CD. In the past it was just hoping the CD was good without any idea what was on there unless it was on the radio first.

I justify downloading music through file sharing programs in order to listen to songs that are on the CD. I then erase them (seriously) after I've decided to buy the CD or not. The only factor left is the sound quality. That's the only chance I take unless there is a writeup online about that.

With used LPs, it's just taking a chance. Who knows what I'll find, whether it's worn out, scratched, or badly recorded. But given the used price of LPs, getting one good one out of 3-4 makes it worth it.

It does take time with new stuff, but I'm like you as far as not having a huge collection. The stuff I have I really enjoy.

Rob