How can i ......

get a woofer out of the cabinet ?

I have a good sized subwoofer with a 15" driver that i'd like to do some internal mods / repairs to. In order to do this, i have to take the woofer out as it is the only reasonable sized access point to the internals. The problem is, i can't get the rassafrassin' driver out of the box. I have tried everything that i know to do this without going "bonsai" on it. I almost think that the driver was not only screwed in but also glued in place.

The woofer is a JBL 2235, so it is a sturdily built driver. All of the screws have been removed that hold the driver in place and the rear hatch for the binding posts have been removed. Having done that, i can push directly on the rear of the driver and NO luck what so ever. I have even tried pushing on the driver from the rear while my brother tried to pry the driver out from the front using a large screwdriver as a wedge. The only result of that effort was a small amount of damage to the baffle from the screwdriver digging into the wood. Luckily, that is all hidden under grille cloth.

Short of resting a 2 x 4 on the back of the driver and whacking it with a hammer a few times, has anybody got any suggestions ? This one has been a real ....... to say the least and i want to get it out of the house. It is a gift for my Dad, so it can take up space over there once i can figure this out and get it done. ANY help or suggestions appreciated ( short of a stick of dynamite ) : ) Sean
>
sean

Showing 2 responses by marty9876

Huh...

Make sure their are no internal mounts holding the driver in place. Feel around the perimeter on the inside the driver and make sure their are no "clamps". Being a 15" I would think you could get some leverage from the rear to break loose and glue/varnish.

Rocking/twisting motion on the magnet assembly to loosen things up. Hopefully not the magnet assembly itself.

Leave it alone for a day and come back with a clear head. Try not to think about it during the day.

Swift kick.

Good luck,
Marty
Funny this is a subwoofer. I tried to take the driver out of one of my subs(HSU VTF-3) and gave up. The sub was brand new, I just wanted to take it apart because(the doctors are still working on this one)....

I removed the screws and after a little prying no luck. I gave up because it was brand new and I did not want to screw it up.

Maybe manufactures use heavy duty glue plus screws on subs..?

Marty