How are Mullards supposed to sound?

System: Rogers Studio 7, Prima Luna Prologue One, Marantz SA-8003

The stock (Chinese?) tubes in my Prima Luna Prologue One finally wore out after two years. The stock tubes sounded really excellent.

I decided to "upgrade." First to Electro-Harmonix tubes, which sounded decent but not as good as the stock tubes, and now to Mullards.

I know that tubes take a little while to "burn-in" but these Mullards sound awful.

They have a hard, clangy, echoing (microphonic) quality that none of the other tubes ever had. The soundstage seems to have receded backwards by a hundred feet. Everything sounds small and far away.

Is this how Mullards sound? I thought they were supposed to sound romantic. Is this all part of the "burn-in" process?
layman

Showing 3 responses by br3098

As for Kevin Deal...

I have had similar experiences with Kevin. I know that there are a lot of folks here on A'gon that give Kevin high marks, but every time I have called him (and actually been able to speak with him) he has basically shoo'ed me away.

Ex: I called Kevin last year to see if I could arrange to demo of a Manley Steelhead. Kevin asked me about my other gear and inquired where I had been buying my audio gear. He then asked if I ever bought gear off of Audiogon, and upon answeing him truthfully ("occasionally") he proclaimed that he didn't waste his time with low-ballers who shopped on Audiogon and hung up on me.

Incredible but true!
Tom, I understand and, to some extent, agree with your thoughts. But I too run a business selling very expensive equipment and services. While there are always folks that want to waste your time; you simply cannot make snap judgements, demand preconditions or blow people off like that. That is a sure way to ruin your business.

I won't/don't need to spend any more time about the Kevin issue. I have probably already said too much. This should probably be moved to another conversation lamenting the sad state of high-end audio dealers. I don't want to highjack Layman's thread.