Home Theater 101 - Subwoofer question?

I will bet this is as basic as it gets in my first H/T 101 Subwoofer class, so anyone with a decent HT system should be able to advise me.

I have a very basic and simple 2 channel system for TV and movies (music playback is performed on another system). I don't want to change anything but add a cheap, decent subwoofer to what I already have.

[SYSTEM: Pioneer Elite A35 amp (45wpc), Denon 1930 DVD, JBL HLS610 monitors, Kimber cabling]

There is a slight problem, my integrated amp does not have a preamp or sub output. I have read that it is not such a bad thing to use speaker wire from amp to sub to monitors, and better subwoofer integration is possible. I don't know if this is true but I nave no other option than this hook-up. I'm keeping this amp and would rather not add a sub if adding a sub is ill-advised.

Now that the stage is set, what cheap good quality power subwoofer will you recommend?
128x128mjcmt

Showing 3 responses by srwooten

Definitive Technology, used, for one (among many).

"I have read that it is not such a bad thing to use speaker wire from amp to sub to monitors, and better subwoofer integration is possible."

This work fine. You can instead (if this is easier, and it usually is) connect from to the speaker wire from your speaker post to your sub "speaker level" and use the settings on the sub to blend with your main speakers. This is how I do it with great results.
To clarify: I would run speaker wire from amp to monitors, then from monitors to sub (providing it has speaker level controls). Is this correct?

This is correct, though there are a few different ways to do it. The ownerÂ’s manual will give you a few scenarios, try them all and see which works best in your system. You can use cheap speaker wire to try different configurations. Go online and read a Def Tech sub (or other brands- like the ones blindjim suggested) owners manuals for examples.

Blindjims advice is good. Look for something that has the controls to integrate properly.

A word of advice- NOT HAVING A SUB is better than a sloppy cheap sub. You can pick up a used Def Tech Supercube 1 with speaker level inputs for under $600. Great sub, I have one in my second system.