High power integrated suggestions please.

Hello,

I would like suggestions to look into. The reference is a McIntosh MA6900 which is the only one on my short list.

I've been racking my brain for other integrateds that have what the 6900 offers; sonics, convenience(loudness switch, equalizer), build quality, aesthetics, reliability and the customer support and service Mac is famous for. It also needs to retail for $5k or less.

I love the Mac sound, full bodied and dynamic to these ears. And I would want a cdp from the same company. If I go with the Mac it would be the MCD201.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time and any suggestions.

Cheers
128x128samac

Showing 4 responses by 213cobra

You're chasing your tail. You already identified the best integrated at that price. Just get it and start listening; don't look back. The Krell has power and dynamics. Unfortunately, it lacks tone and is unable to make anything resembling music. The Chord and MF get a lot closer, but each lacks some of the features and none will sound good into as wide a variety of speaker loads.

Phil
Northwoods,

I did in fact listen to the Krell 400xi discussed here, in my own systems and a friend's which I know well. Is it improved over the unfortunate house sound of Krell electronics? Yes, marginally. Is it absent the lack of musicality emblematic of Krell gear? No, unfortunately. I'm not being inflammatory, I'm being honest. Krell amplification and its sound, IMO, has been a primary contributor to the decline of audiophile credibilty to non-audiophiles for many years. When I saw the 400 and related components go into mass distribution, I was hoping for a better outcome, truly. I just cannot agree that it earns any sonic preference whatsoever over several other alternatives in the market.

Phil
Really, Stevecham, I've tried hard to like Krell amplification. One of my best friends was a dealer for many years and I gave him every chance to convince me with each new product. I can't think of any comparably-priced electronics that produce sound less akin to music, more stripped of tone, more dense with sonic distraction, than Krell -- even granting some product-to-product variances in the family sound. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that if Dan D' and Krell made the only amplifiers in existence, I wouldn't own a hifi. A Tivoli shelf system would be so much less distracting and my mind's ear could fill in the rest. Fortunately there is a vast array of alternatives, so I don't have to deny myself.

Phil