hifi as investment?

Well sort of. I am just starting out in this hobby and having already exchanged a few used components I bought here and later sold- sometimes for the same amount I paid- sometimes for more-

Seeing this has made me consider the idea that one could approach this hobby's acquisitions as a sort of currency. Considering the ease with which many popular components are sold- SCD-1, De Capos, etc. I have begun to realize that it is possible to approach an expensive system with the rational (if art is not enough) that ridiculously expensive components are just another form of money- a temporary resting place for your reserves (of course this considers purchasing used and at a fair price).

I'm looking for nominations. What components are most depreciation proof once they have taken the hit of being used? I want to rationize an absurd purchase and enjoy my monetary reserves while retaining my safety net.

Does anyone else approach it like this? Used Elrods? Don't get me wrong, I'm doing it for the love of music, but a $15000 system requires some consideration of financial prudence right?
wheeler

Showing 1 response by bemopti123

Yes, you can invest on HIFI and make some substantial money. My strategy...buy the pieces that you will keep and appreciate the longest...therefore, pieces that are not a FAD......listen to it to your satisfaction and refrain from ever buying the same type of gear again. You will make big bucks...that means, you will not spend money investing in more gear, that will be gathering dust and increasing your debts or your capital equity. This is the ONLY WAY to make money, unless you become a dealer and buy things on the cheap for your own listening and then, sell them used, still getting the price above what you have paid for the piece, wholesale.

PAUL