Help with PCM, 96khz/24bit, 176.4khz/24bit FLAC, DSD, Double DSD, Quad DSD, MQA, WAV, etc

I am considering downloading some musical files and am very confused on the above formats.   Is it better to download 96khz/24bit files or DSD Files?  

The Reference Recordings website offers several options including 176.4khz/24bit FLAC or 176.4khz/24bit WAV.   Several other options are available but these seems to be the best.

HIGH RES Audio exclusively offers high-resolution music downloads in Studio Master Quality in FLAC, ALAC, DSD, DXD-FLAC and MQA format.

All my current albums are stored in AIFF format on my Aurender N10 Music Server.  I might be willing to experiment with some of the above formats but I am more interested in listening to the music than spending time deciding on the best format.  These above formats might sound better than my PCM albums but is the sound quality really that much improved?  

Audio technology is continuing to improve and, it seems, new formats and solutions are always being introduced, such as MQA albums.   What new formats can we expect next?

If I decide to decide to download some files, what formats should I be using?  Your suggestions and comments are welcomed.  

hgeifman

Showing 1 response by 2psyop

marktomaras,
that is a simple and easy list of the file formats, thanks. BTW what do you think of the SOUND of the MQA files from Tidal? I have listened to them and have been impressed. That had been the first time listening to hi-rez music for myself...