Help. Wife says Teres 340 Is too bright.

My Teres 340 is equipped with a Origin Live Illustrious 3 arm and Benz Ebony L cart. The rest of my system is listed.
I think the TT combo sounds great. She does too, but says the highs are just a little bright. I have played with VTA but that has not fixed the problem though she says we were headed in the right direction with tail lowered.

She says that we had the Scoutmaster just right prior to buying the Teres. Funny thing is that I thought the SM was a tad bright on certain albums. But she didn't. Now I think the 340 is just right but she thinks it bright on some recordings.

The only component that I can think that would be causing this is the tonearm. I cannot imagine the Benz Ebony L as bright. Nor do I think it is the Teres. I really think we (wife & I) need to have our ears calibrated so as to agree on brightness. But since that isn't going to happen, I suppose I should figure out how to please us both. So, do you think I'm on the right track with the tonearm being the culprit? What tonearm would give a warmer presentation? Thanks for your help
128x128artemus_5

Showing 3 responses by lewm

Tell her to get her own turntable.
Turntables are not "bright", except maybe due to the platter mat. Tonearms and cartridges can be bright. Try changing the platter mat.
If the tonality was previously to her liking and you changed ONLY the turntable, I do not see how interconnects could play a role in this question. I do not agree that silver is necessarily "bright", but that is a matter of individual taste. Anyway, deductive logic would suggest that there is something different about the new tt, unless you changed more parts of your rig than just the tt. If you are playing LPs directly on the huge wooden platter of your Teres, perhaps that has caused a difference in tonality from the SM "sound". The platter mat or lack thereof is a very possible culprit.
Loading via the Y connector "works" fine, but as you suggest it is not optimal because of the excessive lengths of wire involved. It is even remotely possible that you are picking up RF on your phono stage as a result. That could certainly cause a sensation of brightness. Also, 42 ohms seems a rather low-ish load resistance for your cartridge, but that would not seem to be a culprit in causing brightness. Does the Wright phono preamp use a built-in SUT for LOMCs?

IF your speaker is truly as sensitive as others say (except for Maril), then when you couple it with a powerful SS amp, you are hearing only the first few Watts that such an amp produces. Many such amps don't sound very good in that area of their power curve; they tend to have rising distortion at low power outputs. From what I read above, this is a possible source of your problem, but it seems controversial whether your spkrs are truly as efficient as some say. Anyway, you had the same amp/speaker combo with the previous rig, so I would tend to think the issues are at the phono preamp level or before that in the chain. But before you spend big bucks on an entirely new preamp, you might consider cheap stuff, like soldering that load resistor closer to the signal input and things of that sort that have been brought up by others. Tube swapping might even ameliorate the problem. Replacing coupling caps also might help, if you are handy with a soldering iron.