Help. Wife says Teres 340 Is too bright.

My Teres 340 is equipped with a Origin Live Illustrious 3 arm and Benz Ebony L cart. The rest of my system is listed.
I think the TT combo sounds great. She does too, but says the highs are just a little bright. I have played with VTA but that has not fixed the problem though she says we were headed in the right direction with tail lowered.

She says that we had the Scoutmaster just right prior to buying the Teres. Funny thing is that I thought the SM was a tad bright on certain albums. But she didn't. Now I think the 340 is just right but she thinks it bright on some recordings.

The only component that I can think that would be causing this is the tonearm. I cannot imagine the Benz Ebony L as bright. Nor do I think it is the Teres. I really think we (wife & I) need to have our ears calibrated so as to agree on brightness. But since that isn't going to happen, I suppose I should figure out how to please us both. So, do you think I'm on the right track with the tonearm being the culprit? What tonearm would give a warmer presentation? Thanks for your help
128x128artemus_5

Showing 4 responses by dan_ed

It is possible she just doesn't like the new sound. After all, many people do not like hearing more resolution. I think it is what they would call "musical".

There is no way any Teres is step back from a Scoutmaster, and probably any other VPI.
Yes, but as you say, Maril, it is more than just extra watts.

I've tried the same with my 110+ db horns. Almost to the point of having one SET channel per driver. I find I get much more presence and presentation with the Lectron. I do have another Doshi-Lectron, but they are not configured close enough to use both at this time. But keep in mind that what is happening is that there is less and less demand on the power supplies and thus more clean, clear headroom.

Kind of the same thing you're saying, but with a little more sauce.
That is awesome!

Wifey: "Honey, it just doesn't sound right. You need your own dedicated room to help get the sound right."

If you ever get tired of that woman, give me a ring. I mean, I have one like that already, but in this hobby one can never have too many spares! :-)

Happy Thanksgiving!
I had a feeling there may be something like involved. In our case, it was our youngest son. Keep your sense of humor and your hobby(ies). They will serve you well.

Best of luck to you.