Help? Stereo for art studio, under $1k

I'm converting an old workshop into my new painting studio and can use some advise or direction on a simple stereo system. The studio is 27' x 33' with a 9' ceiling. The floor is cement, furnishings will be minimal, I believe the walls will be insulated w/ sheetrock. Some windows w/ no blinds.

The challenge is my budget: definitely under $1,000. I'd like an integrated amp or receiver, two speakers, and a way to listen to my digital music collection. Right now I've got music on my iPhone, iPad, iMac. At home I listen to vinyl and cd's but here I need to press start and then not touch the system as my hands have paint on them and I can't change cd's. No internet there yet.

I mostly listen to current music - Monsters & Men, Black Keys, Rhiannon Giddens, Arcade Fire, etc. Very little classical. Volume will be a little high. This is a separate building on 14 acres.

Advise is really welcome: which amp or receiver do you recommend? Which speakers? Thoughts on music player or server?
rose_2
Having owned large clubs, I would suggest something with a mono switch.  Unless you plan to paint only in 1 specific spot nothing will ever sound right, especially with all of the room reflections.  Bass is going to be boomy and highs will probably sound bright at higher levels.  Also, your canvas is going to act like a sound shield right in front of you.
I'd start with something like the Sherwood mentioned above (it should have a mono switch).  For speakers, consider 4, not 2 if you are going to go mono.  Sound will be much more even.  Most older receivers will happily drive 2 pair of speakers.  I'd lean towards smaller monitors since bass should be a problem.  
Finally, store your canvasses in the corners to act as bass traps?
Rose, I have something for you there is no way you're going to beat (price and quality aka value wise). You can contact me off board at [email protected] if interested. I have a Carver MXR 130 receiver and JBL S412P speakers. In the case of the speakers, I have one used and one BRAND NEW (as in unopened manufacturers carton) pair. The Carver with the used pair, $700. The Carver with the new pair, $1000. The Carver with both pairs (it can drive 4 channels) $1300. - Hal
Thanks for all the help! As the studio is under reconstruction speaker placement can be anywhere. And floor-standing speakers would be fine.

I'm thinking of placing the speakers about 13' from my easel and 14' apart because that will be the cleanest area. elevick - you're right, there will be a large canvas between me and the speakers and I assume the sound waves will bounce off the (usually empty) sheetrocked wall about 19' behind me. The windows on that wall will start at about 78" from the floor. I'm researching mono switches right now (I never knew what they were for.)

I forgot to mention that I will be listening to NPR on Saturdays. I've got a Parasound T3 tuner stashed away OR I would need a receiver w/ FM (the Audioengine set-up won't work for me.)
rose...
When speakers are so wide apart (14'), you will not get the true "imaging" or "mixing" of the music. If listening to stereo while at your easel, speakers need to be closer together to hear the complete musical soundstage.
   Just a bit of advice, maybe 8 to 10 feet apart. And if adding a rear set of speakers, you'll fill the room with music.

And once you're all set up, you can put foam panels or canvas on the walls to absorb some of the sound waves bouncing around.