HELP!!!! Newbie looking for a decent 2 channel power amp in the $1,000 range

I am trying find a decent 2 channel power amp to replace my Sonos Amp connected to Kef R3's and RSL Speedwoofer MKII.

I was considering the Emotiva TA2 but based on the comments/reviews here I beleive I could do better going 2X on price over the Emo and be open to a used unit.  I prefer  warm to neutral with detail sound profile.I'd also like an amp that is north of 100 WPC becuase my listening space is midsized (open floor plan approx 600 SF).

Thanks to all in advance!

balooo2

Showing 9 responses by balooo2

Anyone have insight/experience with the Outlaw Model 2220 mono blocks?

Seems like a good deal on paper and good bang for the $$$

WOW you guys are awesome!

@J35 thank for the Odessey suggestion never heard of the brand but the specs and the warranty are outstanding.

@ AKG_ CA thank you for the what look for breakdown...

Keep the suggestions coming much appreciated! 

So...I closed the deal on a Parasound A23+ it should meet my needs as I require a signal detect or trigger on function.

Sound output is important but I need the additional functionality of auto on and I must trade off here and there for ease of use for my family to enjoy the system also. I have a Sonos Port that will serve as a pre amp with a Schiit Modi in the chain, done. Easy breezy not the pinacle but will certainly be an improvement over my Sonos Amp (which will find a new use as my patio speaker back end).

Thanks to all!

And Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

@mtbiker29 Actually I am looking for a quality 2 channel 100 WPC+ power amp as stated.

I'm a noob when it comes to lesser known mid-high quality power amps.

Btw,again you guys are awesome I'm getting the education I was looking for... Options and brands I've never heard of. I see the listings for non big brand names but have no insight into what is a good deal or someone trying unload their headache / disappointment on someone else. I'm truly greatful.

@jbuhl Yes, I am very familiar with the Wyred for sound Sonos mods however I am extremly pleased with results simply putting a Schiit Modi in the chain achieves.And based on my understanding you would still need a dac after the mod.So... why not simply deploy a decent dac, recieve as intended updates from Sonos and be done with it?   Yes the Sonos is limited to CD quality bit rate etc for... now. Beyond CD quality is a little over rated IMHO. I've learned to be patient with Sonos development; who would have thought Apple music would be lossless? But here it is.

I have several better dacs but the Modi being always on with little to no power use is set it and forget it, works well in my use cases,again I have multiple users that will be getting the benefit of my set up. I've been in the Sonos universe for the better part of 15 years now and the ease of use is outstanding sound quality can be meh to some out of the box (me included) to most...just fine.

I'm fortunate to have a family that loves music but are indifferent to audio gear sometimes I'm a little jealous :)

@jbuhl I’ve been curious to discuss a modified ZP 90 with someone that actually owns one,was seriously considering going that route and then the product revisions came took the 30% discount and “upgraded”  to the port. Truthfully I believe the Port is WAY overpriced for what it is these days.

$275 with the discount four years ago was an ok deal but $450 now yikes!  A Wiim pro does the same job and based on what I can gather the output/dac delivery is truly outstanding folks have compared it to the Port and like it more.

question: do you use any S2 components?

@jbuhl Killer front end you've created for streaming, low cost high end across the board and networked; I get it very smart.  I built a Raspberry Pi Hi hat rig as a Tidal Masters streamer for my headphone amp/dac stack works ok for the cost (Volumio stinks). Migrated from Logitech Squeezebox to Sonos and believe it or not I chucked a box of mint Squeezebox gear out about 5 years ago during a clean out. I could kick myself now, my understanding it is a match made in heaven for ROON. I have a very large digital library and Sonos does cap the number of titles to 35,000 I believe. My understanding is ROON does not do that and pulls music from all your digital sources seamlessly (?) and the Squeezebox works great as the controller.

I keep saying to myself gotta check out ROON (never did a deep dive) new year new possibilities!

Happy New year you and yours!

@fred60 I understand where you’re coming from, and I have considered the Purifi module amps. Having both D & A/B amps in my home I find the D gear is for casual listening only. Make no mistake class D is coming like it or not. I see what NAD has done with the higher end amps the reviews are good, but I have not heard any of the new designed D and hybrid amps out there. Based on all the recommendation received A/B is overwhelmingly still the way to go and the Purifi module amps have to prove themselves with the rank and file that’s why I put the question to this forum, not many class D recommendations did not escape me. I knew I would get overall honest responses and I do appreciate yours.

Thanks for the input and Happy New year!

@fred60 I already have a class D setup with Sonos Amp I currently have. I prefer a A/B SQ (I suspect most others here do as well) The Sonos is rated at 125 WPC but the SQ is still very class D. Truthfully, I'd prefer recommendations from folks that have had actual experience with the gear they would advise I consider buying. That being said the Sonos Amp is a good amp handles every speaker I've paired with it ok and has its place but I'm seeking a warmer less glassy sound. I'm far enough along the way to know the SQ I like, and I have not come across a class D set up I could fall in love with yet.