Help in putting together my system with used equipment on Audiogon and eBay.

I’m looking for the best bang for the buck. What equipment can I find that would make the best system for my budget ($8000)? I'm starting out with:

Pass Labs X1 Preamp, my rock to start with. I got it for $2500 This is where you can help me the most. Let me know your best match for this pre-amp, or the ones you have found to be the best you have heard!

Bryston 4B SST amp for about $1700. It’s been my experience that more power wakes up a speaker and pins it’s ears back. At 300wpc and the reviews on this amp I picked it, but just to start. I really need some experienced people to give me recommendations for the amp, or if the Bryston is a winner. I can sell this for a better amp.

Do I need a DAC?

Phono. I’ve realized that might be a big reason why people go to separates isn’t it? I’d like to hear some comments on this. If you have separates and no phono, what do you use? Stream music? CD’s?

CD player? I do have a lot of CD’s. With separates, it’s either phono, cd, or streaming correct?

I’m not really a phono guy, but I know which albums I would buy so it is an option. I wouldn’t know a good phono if you hit me with it. Please recommend a few.

I’m leaning toward B&W speakers just because of their reputation. I may spend up to 5k on a good pair of speakers, but I want them to be used and costing much more when bought new. I know how to spot a good deal and not buy speakers on their death bed (from reputable sellers), but I need your recommendations too. You all have heard more speakers than I ever have and will.

**I’m going to check this post often and answer any questions and write down your recommendations.
I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR THIS, IT IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME!
128x128imabucfan
Forgot;;;;;;

Be careful with the ebay website.
lots of scammers on eBay!

Be very careful w them.

acurus thank you. If I can find a Pass xa30.5 amp I will audition it. Class A but only 30wpc makes me feel like it will play clean but not loud. We shall see... dmbwire thanks for the audio store names, I google audio shop and get Best Buy and home theatre installers!!! arktithdeth thanks for the post, but I only know enough to be a little careless with my $ and I can't afford to choose wrong, I know my place in the audiophile world, and it's not very high up the ladder. I am hoping to take everyone's recommendations and try to get most of it right the first time, but I'm sure there are a lot of laughs from everyone about that statement! I just want to get the best sound I possibly can from my first components and do some tweaking along the way. It's just unreal how much some components go for. A set of speakers that cost three times my complete system! If it sounds like the band is playing in front of me, or as close as I can get, I will be completely satisfied until my time comes!
Selling Pass and Bryston gear for something else is hogwash- keep that stuff, it’s excellent. you need a DAC because let’s face it, the majority of music played today is streamed and why not ?? Using Tidal etc it sounds great and you have access to the universe. You could start off with a cheap DAC like an audioquest dragonfly black and be well on your way-the dac will likely be one of the 1st things you replace anyhow so why spend a bunch +  you can use it as a portable /headphone Dac when you upgrade- blow the rest of your loot on speakers- which are entirely dependent on personal preference and the type of music you listen to- I have enough used gear to open a hi Fi shop- my everyday setup is a moon 350p pre/dac - bryston 14b out to a pair of somewhat beat up BW 802s and a JL E112 sub. I have stuff from jbl,kliipsch, SF and even a pair of Revel ultimate gems - but I run the aforementioned set up because to me, that’s what working for my tastes at this time- your amp and pre are very good, now you need a dac & speakers and that’s where I would recommend you focus your efforts on. The $64,000 question is what type of music do you primarily listen to??
cavscout thanks for the post. And for reinforcing the Pass/Bryston. I bought those after many hours of research and reading reviews and recommendations. I have to start somewhere, and there aren't any audio stores that will be auditioning these older models. I was scolded by one poster about getting out and listening to gear, but the audio stores are using new gear, not the used gear I want to buy. In order to maximize my $ and audio quality I need to buy highly rated used gear. Some may argue, but that's how I feel. Getting this new gear will open up a wide range of music for me. Jazz, rock, easy listening. I will admit even at my age I do like to crank up Nirvana, but there is plenty of room for the Eagles, Aretha Franklin, Bach, and lots of jazz. I figured the Bryston at 300wpc will play just about anything I want at whatever volume suits me at the time. Everyone that gives me recommendations are helping me in a big way in deciding what gear to get, even if I don't end up getting exactly what I want because of the $. The media streamer will be a hard purchase, it seems the industry is still refining the technology. The speakers will be the fun part, and perhaps the audio expo in Tampa will be the defining moment for my choice, although as with the entire system, my budget will weigh on my decision. If anyone reading these posts thinks I am lucky to be buying a system at all, when you hit your retirement age is not the best time to be getting into audio. It's on my bucket list of things I'm going to do damn it, come hell or high water!
I too am retired and loving it !! Long time audio fan with many audio systems over the years . I wouldn’t consider myself a audio perfectionist - but was a musician a long time ago so I know what I want my sound to be at an affordable budget for me. As for what I listen to it’s all over the place - Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays , Steely Dan, Chicago, Andrea Bocelli, Earth Wind and Fire, Brazilian Bossa Nova ( Marcos Valle, Ivan Lins, Elaine Elias ) , Rippingtons, Jeff Lorber - too much to mention. All CD’s I own and play through a bluetooth device. 2 years ago I bought most of my gear used - I wanted a simple system with clean tight sound on a very limited budget. I started with a used Emotiva XDA-1 Preamp / DAC , a used Parasound HCA MK1200 II Amp and a new Audioengine Bluetooth receiver. I plug all this into a Tripp Lite surge protector. My cables and wires are generic. For speakers I bought a new pair of the Polk Audio LSiM 705’s - I love the sound they produce - clean , not bright and tight bass. These might work for you and currently you can buy them direct from Polk Audio at 50% off ( wish I got in on this deal) . Hope this helps https://www.polkaudio.com/products/lsim705  Everyday for a couple hours I sit back and listen to this setup and am still thrilled how great it sounds - for me I couldn't be happier. Good luck with the search !!