Hearing issues and signal attenuation

In other forums I've discussed my age related hearing issues and how I might compensate using mechanical controls. Since those posts I've tried hearing aids but, because of the discomfort caused by them, I gave them up. My problem in a nutshell is that, although my hearing lost is bilateral starting at about 1500 Hz, the left ear hearing is somewhat more compromised. This, of course, results in my perception that center stage is off center to the right side especially at higher frequencies. I just installed new speakers (Martin Logan Ethos replacing Odysseys) which seems to have worsened this problem.

The last time I brought this up the suggestions included installation of a high quality active or passive equalizer, changing my listening position and using hearing aids. The EQ approach makes the most sense but in reviewing the several equalizers suggested I found them to be a little out of my price range. I have been considering using a good L pad to attenuate the signal to the right speaker but because the problem seems mostly related to the higher frequencies, I'm afraid that simply reducing volume to the right side will result in more heavily weighting lower frequencies to the left.

Anyway, it might be time to bite the bullet and start looking again into purchasing an equalizer. Based on the following setup I would appreciate all suggestions:

Shanling CD100, Nova Audio Nova preamp and Nova 220 amp.
128x128broadstone

Showing 4 responses by zd542

"12-05-14: Aolmrd1241
Can you move the left speaker forward enough to a point where the two channels sound almost equal in frequency? It may help in balancing out the sound some."

I was going to say the same thing. Also, you may want to try putting something that has a reflecting surface behind your right ear.
"The only drawback so far is that I think it degraded the overall sound quality which may only be a matter of adjusting to this new balance."

If you get a digital EQ you can output to a DAC. Most people feel that you'll get better sound if you EQ a digital signal before it gets converted to analogue.
Since your initial results are positive, I think you should get a better EQ. 12 bands are not enough for the level of precision that you probably need. Also, you are taking a big hit in sound quality putting that old, analogue EQ in the chain. In one of the other quotes, someone mentioned the Behringer digital EQ. That would be a good place to start. I have one myself. It has tons of features that you may find of use besides just a graphic EQ. Also, it should sound a lot better than what you currently have, especially since you can use the DAC in your Peachtree. If you have a Guitar Center nearby, you can get it from them and return it if it doesn't work out. GC has a very good return policy.
"In setting this up is there any reason to consider using an "unbalanced" connection from the EQ?"

It depends. If your other components are balanced, then use a balanced connection. Same thing with SE. Also, what EQ were you talking about when you said that resistors need to be soldered into the inputs? I have the Behringer and I don't need to do any of that. I can just switch back and forth with no problems.