Has Anyone Found Shunyata Cables Sounding Thin?

I have noticed this with the introduction of some of Shunyata's latest offerings into my system. They are great cables but they need help in my system. I run cables in series to solve the problem and the results are stunning -- while going against audio principles and accepted audio "wisdom".
sabai

Showing 9 responses by zd542

"I run cables in series to solve the problem and the results are stunning"

That's very interesting, but I'm not sure I fully understand that you are talking about. Can you go into a bit more detail as to what you are doing?
"10-07-14: Psag
I have had a similar recent experience with the latest and greatest Shunyata power cord. Thin."

The more expensive ones are really fat.
"10-11-14: Onhwy61
Deaf people can enjoy music. Deaf musicians can even create new music. The human brain is where music is created and comprehended, not the ear. Read a musical score and tell me it's not true."

It's not true. I just tried to do it. Honestly, though, I don't know how to read music, so that may have been a factor. It's not in me to quit either, so I expanded on the idea and tried something I already knew how to do. I ate a steak in my head. So much for that. I'm still hungry. You may want to rethink your approach before someone goes deaf, or starves to death.
"10-09-14: Sabai
Zd542,

Are you referring to the size of the cables or the sound?"

The size.
"My priority has been to use components in such a way as to convey the signal as it was recorded."

How? In order to do that, you would need a reference. Otherwise, how do you know if you are going in the right direction?
"Zd542, you don't know whether it's true or not because you don't have the knowledge base to perform the act of reading a musical score. Others may simply know more than you on this subject. Though I do like your point about the steak."

Have you no sense of humor? Yes, your point is valid. I think what some of us are suggesting, is that how we perceive music is the result of multiple factors. I say use your head. This allows you to use your ears because they're attached to your head, but also allows for the use of your brain, as well.
"Every element in a system imparts tone -- components, cables, accessories. I have no idea why there is special emphasis placed on cables in this regard."

I'm pretty sure I know. When most people start out in audio, they are very surprised when people tell them that cables make a difference in sound quality. It sort of adds a bit of mystery to the experience. And not everyone hears differences in cables right away. It usually takes some time to gain the knowledge and listening experience needed to consistently pick out differences in cables. When it finally does happen, it can be viewed as an accomplishment. Something to be proud of. At that point, I think many feel, whether they realize it or not, they're more likely to engage in conversations that involve cables. If you look at the number of responses to threads, topics involving cables always have the most responses. Or I could be wrong, its just my theory.
"Its analogous to what the best designers of audio components do: they listen AND they measure. They stay away from things that don't make sense, regardless of how they may sound."

You hit the nail on the head with that one. They go for things that make dollars. The more the better.
"I suspect Sabai may not have even tried the Shunyata cable alone; from the lead post it appears he has inserted it into his serial cable system and weighed in on its sound. He simply is not using the cables correctly, according to the intent of the manufacturers, when he uses them serial. Consequently, he is most assuredly off base on describing the sound of any cables he is using in that fashion."

I won't speak for him, but his first post was pretty clear about that.

"They are great cables but they need help in my system. I run cables in series to solve the problem and the results are stunning"

That sounds to me like he tried the cables both ways.