Harbeth SHL5 vs SHL5 PLUS

Hi Guys,

Seeking feedback on sonic differences between the two. Woofer and crossover changed. Have heard that there are differences in bass quality. My main concern is midrange and high frequencies. What are the differences? If there are...I am seeking the one with a smoother, more relaxed top end (non etched...eg...less leading edge and more body in vocals/string instruments). Thanks so much for your help.
pc123v

Showing 1 response by raindog031

Harbeth have natural synergy with Pass amplifiers...i prefer with silver cabling in between...A class works wonderful...i checked out Gryphon Diablo 300 also on HL compact 7ES-3 and also works very smooth with absolute control but the best amp i mated with Harbeths was/is Kondo Ongaku clone....with also great source that is something to behold...bring me the most expensive Magico and it will run it over like a shallow stream in terms of musicality...it works so well that you just dont care is violin in third or fifth row, does it have less or more details, is it more or less transparent etc...sound is deprived of any mechanical artefacts...Harbeths will definitively take out the midrange best and most natural...their bass and highs are good, nothin spectacular but they are masterfully integrated and it just sings as whole...of course to get the sound i have now it would take a tons of money if you buy it from actual manufacturer but my point is that it is imperative to invest in quality electronics and cables to really hear what Harbeths can...i heard briefly SHL5 Plus with Gryphon Callisto amp, Rega CD player in another room and it is more cleaner and open and bit brighter than HL compact 7ES-3 but i doubt that difference between SHL5 and SHL5 Plus is big...if you allready have Harbeth speaker i suggest you to urgently spend some big bucks on better amp and source...thank me later...