Greatest American Rock and Role Bands of ALL Time

I have run into several advertisements saying that Aerosmith was the greatest American R&R band. I have thought about this claim and asked around and realize it is not an easy choice. So many of the great rock bands are not American..i.e. Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Rush, etc.

But before going further, who should/should not be considered?

 I think “band” means not Elvis, Elton John, etc or other single acts, that is another thread. However I would count Ted Nugent since he really is a band but with his name as a title…same with Hendrix, since he usually played with a band.
 They need to write at least most of there own music (another thing that would preclude Elvis).
 “Rock” any thing from the 50s up to alternative (which I consider a derivative of rock). This would include pop rock, so the Monkey’s might be considered (if they were American).
 Heavy metal would be ok.
 they should sustain their appeal over a period of time even if they weren’t able to produce a lot of music…i.e. Buddy Hollie, Hendrix

Anyway, there is no perfect guide so if you have other ideas, no problem. But here are a few of the undisputed best…..(that is bait)

 Amerosmith
 Kiss
 Alice Cooper
 Ted Nugent
Journey
….hey, I don’t know, I really would have a hard time putting any of these in a top 10 list of all time worldwide so I need some help,

Who are the greatest American Rock Bands of All Time???????????? Who is THE Greatest of all time
bbtuna

Showing 12 responses by trich727

You forgot Chocolate Watchband! America's answer to the Stones, but completely overlooked. I'm glad somebody mentioned 13th Floor Elevators, but everybody has over looked Johnny Winter. I might have missed it, but Stevie Ray certainly tore it up for a while. And why is this so totally male dominated? Janis Joplin never really had a band worthy of her vocal skills, but she could own a crowd live. And Jimi not included?? You can't do that! The guy was born here, toured with Little Richard, the Isley Bro., Mitch and Noel could have been any good session musicians. In fact I think I have more Jimi recordings without Mitch and Noel than with. Jimi is IN. Tom
I'm pretty sure Left Banke is UK. But how can we forget ZZ Topp's first three albums or the bands ZZ came from; The Moving Sidewalks and American Blues. Also Amboy Dukes, The Third Rail, Shadows of Knight, did you mention The Seeds? Mountain? Electric Flag? James Gang, Canned Heat? Buddy Holly, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk, MC5, Patti Smith Group, The Barbarians? And who could forget The Nightcrawlers, and Mouse and the Traps? I think since Jimi's first band, Jimi James and the Blue Flames was US, Jimi Hendrix is as American as apple pie. "And" also puts Johnny Winter in the list. Tom trich727
Hey Paul, Buddy Holly certainly belongs on the list, but I'm afraid Los Lobos will fall by the way side as does my electee, Johnny Winter who cut his first record 42 years ago, and has a new one due out soon. If we are looking hard, Iron Butterfly was the first US band to go platinum, and CCR out sold the Beatles in the USA when together. So if we go by the criteria of who influenced R'n'R the most from the USA, that honor HAS to go to James Marshall Hendrix from Seattle. Followed closely by Elvis, Buddy Holly, Muddy Waters, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Velvet Underground, Little Richard, Robert Johnson, The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry and Bob Dylan. I will argue until the cows come home or get hit by a Greyhound that these people/bands had the biggest influence on American music than any others. An interesting fact is that the Velvet Undergrounds' average sale on a new release was 3,000 copies. If you go by fewest copies sold versus affect, they are only beat by Robert Johnson. In that respect, Robert Johnson would be the clear winner of influence VS sales, and you can cash that in a UK bank. Tom trich727
Ben, what you said "after" your Doors election was right on, but you can't think the Doors had a bigger influence on American rock music than the others you mention?? To quote Lester Bangs, "Morrison was a drunken bafoon". Don't take that as though I don't like the Doors!! But Jesus, don't give them that much credit! I honestly can't think of a big name American band that has had as little affect on rock as the Doors. I have NEVER heard ANY musician give credit to the Doors as an influence other than Patti Smith. I would hate to think what could have happened at the Paramount if the Doors had been the first white act to play there. Are you from L.A.?
We're not done!! You list efectively how many times (almost)a US band was mentioned, but as an absolute end, it is not. Beyond the mentions of UK bands in a US list, and cartoon characters competing, you are trying to end this now? Hell, I should have posted about Johnny Winter a few more times and he would have won. I have been thinking about my list of absolute influences on American rock music, and I think I have to add Alice Cooper. I included Little Richard, so as to include the flamboyant, but I realize now that Alice took it a step further. As for Aerosmith, yeah they are a great R'n'R band, as the Black Crows were too. I kinda listen to both when I'm trying to decide what I really want to hear. Tom trich727
I am not a believer, or was not. I am considering becoming one BECAUSE NONE OF YOU HAVE SAID GUNS AND ROSES. There must be a god!!!!!!!!! I don't know where they are from, but thank all of you who have not said Gun and Roses! Tom trich727
Hey Ben, are you related to Glen? Yes I am an android and that is the name AOL chose to give me. You point out that the Doors have been slipping away in the public eye as an incredible R'n'R band, and you are right. As with Janis, her band was not incredible, and neither were Ray, Robbie or John. That is the case with many many bands, in fact the majority of bands. Janis switched from Big Brother to Full Tilt with no objection from the public, Jimi switched Noel out, then later Mitch, and again still produced incredible music. Few bands have had artistic quality individualy that would stand on there own. The Beatles, Cream, and Led Zeppelin are the ones that spring to mind, but there are more. The Doors had Jim, who was out of control a lot of the time, and left little in the archives as a result. Look at the results of trying to squeeze one more out of Jim's archives; An American Prayer, or the Doors without Jim. Not much to hang on to. Compare that to Jimi, who has had far more posthumus releases than when he was alive! And many of them are really good. As an android, it takes very little computing power to see why it is the way it IS. Tom Richards
Although I am tempted to contradict what you say, especially about the Beatles solo, as my favorite John Lennon is in his early solo releases (NOTE; Two Virgins, Unfinished Music #2, and the Wedding album came out while he was still with the Beatles). Plastic Ono Band, his first solo lp, is a masterpiece. As was George's All Things Must Pass. Even McCartney's first lp was quite good, 2nd was acceptable, and then he slipped off into pop mush with no direction from Lennon. Still what you both say is true in respect to the synergy of the Doors. Jim would not be respected as much as he is today without the band he was in. In any thing I've said, I did not knock the Doors really, I critized Morrison for his life style (actually more so his timing), and letting it affect the Doors SO much. If Morrison could have held it together better, the Doors would be remembered more favorably today. I own all the Doors releases and box sets, it's not like I am not a fan. In fact, I have all of the video I know to exist, Feast of Friends, Are Open, The Doors, and all the stuff comercially available. I wasn't shooting from my ass on this, I honestly think Morrison screwed it up. Tom
I side tracked this train in a discussion about the Doors, which is not what this tread is about. I'm pretty sure the thread is asking if Aerosmith is the greatest American band?
If not, who is? Alice Cooper, The Allman Brothers, Dylan, or who???
I have a video tape of Neal Schon and Journey jamming with greats Albert King and I want to say Lonnie Brooks, but it does not matter. Anyway, it was on a show called "Soundstage". Albert was doing his thing when it was his turn to solo, and not over embelishing. Neal was last. I must say that I have never seen someone try their hardest to out do a great, out of key. I don't mean he was in the right key but out of tune, but he was in tune, out of key AND DID NOT KNOW IT! Neal tried to out shine two greats out of key. I have never laughed harder at any musicial act in my life. What's worse yet is Journey let them air it!!!! Which tells me they are all tone deaf!!! Let's give Journey to the Brits. Tom trich727
Hey Rosstaman, you are right, many stars and actors have drinking problems, but Jim just didn't care when or where he let it get the best of him, repeatedly. It is pretty well known that Ray Manzarek "filled in" for Jim on vocals during live performances, because Morrison was too blitzed on numerous things to finish. The quote from Lester Bangs I used was because Lester knew Jim, and was so frustrated with him because of this. Jim was no doubt a shooting star, brilliant, but out of control. I still have a great deal of respect for Morrison as an artist, and given the circumstances, I don't know if I could have done any better under that pressure and limelight. But others did, and didn't let it affect them in public as much as Jim. Unfortunately some of them died from it anyway. Tom