Good entry level cd?

I'm looking to buy a good "first" cd player. I'd like to buy used and spend $200-300. My equipment is...Aragon 2004 mkII, Yamaha rxv-659, heartland cables, and a $80 Pioneer dvd. Any suggestions?
tstan7777

Showing 1 response by tstan7777

Let me narrow this....the Aragon I have really lays the bass down. It's got a super fat sound, akin to an old analog synth. It lacks control in my opinion. It's a muddy sound at higher volume, in spite of that being a supposed forte of the Aragon. Right now I use the digi-coax out to the Yamaha for the dac. My biggest complaint is lack of mid-range and possibly top end. I'm afraid of the nad a little, I think I'm after something a little bright and snappy. The Cambridge sounds interesting. I've read posts about them having good bass, curious what that would do for me? Would it clean up my bass issue or would it be too much emphasis on bass? I think I want to go with a universal player because I will use it for movies if it's capable and I've never listened to sacd, so I'd like to try it. Right now I like the sony dvp-3000es, a Cambridge dvd89 or 540, maybe a Denon 2900. There's a rotel rdv-1080 that looks interesting. So any suggestions?