Getting the Upgrade Bug Again

I just listened to some CJ gear this weekend. It was the ET3 SE pre-amp coupled with the Classic 60 SE amp. Not that I am unhappy with my current integrated amp, but clearly this is a step upwards.

I want to stay with tubes and would prefer to purchase new gear. So is there anything else I should listen to that is in the same price range of the CJ gear, which is $9,500.
Ag insider logo xs@2xgreginnh

Showing 2 responses by zd542

Does your Primaluna have enough power for your speakers or will you be needing something that has more?
The problem I'm having trying to come up with a recommendation in you price range, it that there are so many choices. The only thing I can tell you for sure, is don't skimp on the preamp. Also, don't under power the speakers, even if it means you have to go with a SS amp. I'm not saying that is now an absolute, direct replacement for a tube amp, but current models are good enough where they just shouldn't be dismissed just because they're SS.

The Classic 60 is an excellent piece, but I do hesitate when you say you will be using them with a pair of 803's. I had one, and its a great sounding amp, but I would say that its a must audition in your system first. (You don't say whether you tried the CJ gear in your system, or not.) A few combinations do come to mind that may go well with your speakers. I'll list them for you. You may have to go used for some of these.

Aesthetix Calypso preamp with an Ayre V5 amp.

BAT 300x Integrated

ARC tube amp (something like a VT100 or equivalent and a matching ARC preamp.

BAT separates, tube or SS

Pass amp with a balanced tube preamp like an Aesthetix, BAT or ARC

Quicksilver V4 mono's with a VTL 2.5 preamp or the CJ preamp you just listened to. The V-4's would definately be a better match for your speakers than the CJ 60.