From Pipedream to MBL 101e, any thought?

Hi everybody, I have just decided to buy a pair of MBL 101e, used of course. I'm looking for a more holographic image and sit anywhere sound stage. What I'm not so sure is the matching with my Mark Levinson NO. 33 I'm using with the Pipedreams. Actually I'm using 2 pairs of them to drive the Pipes so I can do the same with 101e for passive biamping.
I learned from a few post in Audiogon who successfully use amps other than MBL own with great success so I hope my 33s can do the job as well. Any comments would be appreciated.
Suchart
suchtan

Showing 1 response by lrsky

This is the dream question...sort of who'd you rather date, Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock, or even Jen Anniston?

The Pipedreams are marvelous speakers...really, IMHO, one of the best, even with the so called 'comb-filter' issues that they supposedly have. Very dynamic, life size (if a bit overbig, NEVER A PROB for me).
The MBL's set up correctly, offer that last dimension that even the Pipedreams don't...360 degree dispersion.

The MBL's are terrific speakers and the Levinson will do fine with them. The question is, is that amp as good as the MBL?
While I haven't done an A/B/A comparison, I'd have to say no. But, as good as, is not as important as, will it work for this purpose? Yes.

The final step then, would be, to move to the MBL eventually--unless of course, you're different than almost all audiophiles (including me) and you're actually 'satisfied', lol.

Great choices, great post, and great reading.

Good listening,

Larry