From Benz to?

I've been on a Benz ride for the last few years, having owned and enjoyed the Wood SL, then the Gullwing SLR and my current Benz LPS, which I love (and has been retipped a couple times).  I find the Benz sound to be superbly balanced, leaning just to the warm side, with no apparent loss of detail.  Prior to Benz I had a Lyra Delos and a Clearudio MC (among a couple other ones.. Shelter 501?).  I even experimented with vintage MMs (Stanton 981 and Grace Ruby F8) on my Tracer tonearm (which is fairly low mass at ~9-10g) but went straight back to the LPS, cause it sounded more satisfying.  For those who have moved on from Benz to another cart and enjoyed the switch, are there any suggestions in the same sonic style of Benz, just perhaps a bit more treble refinement?   FWIW I detest treble tipped up cartridges.   One thing I've noticed is that Benz have a large stereo separation (and measures as such, >35dB), which helps (IMO) lead to a large soundstage.  Benz just hit all the buttons for me, but I'm feeling a desire to change, just to try something different. I've never tried Dynavector. Are they worth a shot, or are they completely different vs the Benz sound signature? 

128x128gakerty

OP

The LPS is unlikely to sound its best with the built-in SUT in your phono, or perhaps with any SUT with 20db gain. The Ebony L would be a better match.

@vusi_khumalo 

Interesting.  Why is that?  The Ebony L actually has a lower output (.26 mV) vs LPS (.34mV).  Or is the mismatch of the LPS + built in SUT due to something else entirely?

Impedance: 38 ohms

Not recommended for use with SUTs by Benz, however I believe one with 4-5 transformation ratio will work if the total (phono) gain is still in the mid 60s min.

@vusi_khumalo

Thanks, is it a general rule of thumb that cartridges with lower internal impedances are more optimally matched to SUTs than those with higher impedances? There is quite an impedance difference between the Ebony (~8ohms) vs the 38 ohms LPS. Never noticed that before. Still I’m impressed how well the LPs fares with the Zestos at 1000ohms (this is max for MC on the Zestos), even though this whole time I haven’t been running it optimally. I think it’s pretty obvious I’m a set it and forget it sort of guy and probably should look into this a bit more...

1. Lots has been written about LPS | SUT mismatching/incompability, you may Google...

2. I doubt XV1-S can touch Ebony L in performance, and since you like the LPS then L will sound similar but better with your phono.

3. Consider demoing & buying an ’active’ phono and keeping the LPS.

4. The Ebony L costs $2k NIB for the last few years from a seller on Audiigon, all carts that may better its performance cost much more than that.