from a Krell SS- FPB 600 to What Tube Amp ?

I have been a Krell listener for 15 years, from the KSA-150 to the FPB 300 ,to now the FPB 600. I love the Power in Class A, and the great Bass that the Krell offers. But I think I maybe missing out here on some great tube amps. I think it is time to give a reasonable audition to some Tube Amps. IF I could please get some experienced answers , that would be much appreciated, like someone who has gone threw this transition . I know all the names of the best tube amps, but getting someone who has experienced this is very valuable to me. My budget is $5K- $8K used prefered, $$lower also works.

My System:

Meitner-EMM Labs DCC2 + Phillips cdp D.O.M ( Truly Amazing )
Kubala Emotion cables, all cables (***** Truly Amazing )
Walker Velociter ( Great Stuff )
Infinity MTS Preludes, 6 Ohms (also need to change)
Townshend Super Tweeters ( Great Stuff )
Krell FPB-600
macallan25

Showing 2 responses by macallan25

Rkuryl

On the Kubala , well lets say I have had 2 years of trial and error, on cable testing. My home reference consisted of Transparent Reference Speaker cables, after many attemps , with Silteck G5, Valhalla, Supra Swords, Ensemble, the only cable that I found was better was the Jena Valkyres, bought them and they were great, until I tried the Kubala Emotion, I have to say they got auditioned and are now in my system.

Next my interconnect for my reference system were Valhalla XLR, I tried Siltech G5, Ridge Street Audio, Pure Note, Omiga, Meitner, and now Kubala Emotion in my system,

Power Cords, I was using Elrod, Harmonix, Kimber, now Kubala in my system.

This is a new company, that will IMO do very well, The speaker cables has excellent bass extension with the best midrange sound and clearly the best prices. The Interconnects are much better than the Valhallas , much darker back ground , and much more detail. The Power cords are outstanding, blows away latest Elrod and latest Harmonix.

Because all these cords are system dependent, you should try there 30 day free trial. All I can say is call Bob at Rhapsody Audio in NY tel 212 229 1842, and he will be able to answer all of your questions. He will take care of you. Supply you with prices and a service to die 4 .

You will not be disapointed,
Well even thought I know that my speakers have to go, I decided to try a few amps out. 1st was some mono blocks SS @200 watts a side. I did notice a difference immediatly. The sound was more detailed, and had it owne signature sound which I didn't like.
2nd I got a pair of Audio Valves 70 Baldur, Triode. Good looking amps. They are 70 watts and has self auto bias ,and is running in Class A. I let them warm up for a day ( dealer demo's). I sat down around 10pm and put in some musik, I was floored, couldn't pull myself away from my listening room. This was truly amazing. Let see how can I describe what I heard. Well it seemed to have the same style of the Krell FPB600, with the most amazing fidelity, it just was real, all the instruments came alive. The voices were so lush and had more distinction in there voice. The mids open up. I played music for 3 hours, hearing things that wasn't ever displayed by the KSA or the FPB Krell, actually it seemed to bring out what the Krell 150 did best and what the FPB series does well and added an unveilling to the musik. Tons of power and the Bass was fine. I could swith today, ( i didn't even have to do an A/B ,it was that much of a difference, and seemed like a whole new level of sound quality.
Next step, is to find out what is the next level valve amp and try it to compare. I don't want to miss the boat for a few thousand more, then matching the amp to new speakers, even thought I should probably do speakers first, and I may just do that.

This is an very important step to match the amps with the speakers , I don't want to srew up here.

I never thought I would say bye to Krell.