For Newbies: how to listen:swaps/changes

Listening to a system component change, or going out to listen to new equipment, can be confusing to someone who hasn't mastered the art. I would like to start a topic that might get others to note just what THEY listen for/ notice when modding/swapping stuff. So newer students of the art of swapping/modding (and auditioning) can learn.
I usually will listen to whatever CD has my attention lately and a few that I especially like. I WILL repeat the same parts (I don't get bored, I actually find more every time I listen) i listen, noting if any "new" sound is 'jumping out at me (a triangle I never notice as such before, or that it suddenly sparkles so dramatically) or if some sound is suddenly totaly recognizable (a tapping on a glass with a spoon!! in a P J Harvey tune). etc..
Also switching BACK and seeing if it really is different... and quitting if your "hearing" gets tired.
Any others with hints???
(I'm NOT listing all my ideas now so we all don't get bored reading just my hints!!!)
elizabeth

Showing 1 response by sol322

Background details is a parameter that helps me to find improvements or losses obtained with changes. I'm not implying that it's the key thing but I have a couple of tracks that have details that pan between LR and if presence is better it's a good sign to check other qualities in the presentation. Take for certain that a change that you make (after the needed set-in time)gives something you don't like ( less presence or coloration in voices) might require other adjustments to judge properly.

I particularly select a track on a CD (a segment of it) and use the repeat feature to check between settings trying to detect main differences to keep into account in longer listening evaluation sessions. Also is a good thing to go back to your previous setting for lengthy listening and compare notes and your emotional reactions to the music.
As Elizabeth noted it's a complex skill that has to be developed, good thread