Follow Up On TV Querry For 2007 Purchase......

Hello Again All:

Remember a few months ago, I was inquiring about what would be the best TV to buy if I was buying a Plasma TV??? I was eyeing a Visio 42" Model at the time, and the consensous was that I should pony up and consider buying a Panasonic or a Toshiba (which I do not disagree with that assessment 100%).

Well People....... I'm still stuck (kind of).

Yesterday, after leaving my part-time job at a local shopping center in Prince Georges County, Maryland, I went to the new Circuit City that happens to be across the street from the mall I work at. I met a gentleman who seems to be QUITE knowledgeable about HDTV's in general, and he pretty much gave my ass a crash course on the difference between Plasma and LCD TV's. I am beginning to start saving up for the TV at the end of this month. Until yesterday, I was set to go with a Plasma as Plasmas as a whole seem to provide better blacks than an LCD model could ever dream of. But after looking at a Toshiba 42HL167 (a 1080p LCD set, mind you) hooked up to a Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD Player yesterday, I was stunned at the black level this set was producing, as well as the fast refresh rate this set was doing when it was doing a sports scene. This set was producing a picture that was close to any Plasma set that inside the store. If I didn't know any better myself, if I hadn't known that it was an LCD set yesterday, I would've said that had to be a Plasma set. The picture was so crisp, so sharp and so vivid, my jaw just dropped inside the store. After seeing that set, I also asked the saleman to show me the 720p variant (the Toshiba 42HL67) of the same set (so I can see if I can see enough of a difference to warrant paying an extra $400.00 for the 1080p version of this set (the 42HL167)), and quite frankly, I couldn't see that much of a difference off the bat. After looking at these sets yesterday, I still kind of want to go Plasma because of the quality of blacks they tend to produce. But after looking at these Toshiba LCD's yesterday, I'm starting to have second thoughts and starting to second guess myself.

I guess, the question I'm am getting at is are LCD as a class are really THAT good today (as far as picture quality, black level and fast refresh rates are concerned)??? Because these were the VERY things that LCD's took a lot a flack and criticism for in the past. Are the differences between LCD and Plasma really THAT narrow??? Because after looking at these two Toshibas yesterday, I am almost sold on the pictures these sets produce, and that's not to say that they're attractively priced to boot.

Any feedback on experiences between LCD and Plasma, as well as any opinions are appreciated in advance.

Thank you for your time.

--Charles--
128x128chaskelljr2001

Showing 2 responses by shadorne

I have both in 42" size. I still prefer the plasma. I would have bought plasma again but could not find a 1920 x 1080 pixels in a 42" size TV and I wanted something that would take proper advantage of Blu-ray.

I don't like mercury back light of the LCD's. I find it is slightly uneven across the screen and this is noticeable in a darkened room for movie watching. Also the contrast is still better on plasma's for night scenes or movies shot mainly with dark scenes, IMHO.

As Chadnliz says....neither is quite as good as a perfectly setup older Sony Wega XBR CRT HDTV...but the alignment on my Sony was a bit off in the corners and it also had a curve on the horizontal axis and it died after only six years (power supply) ....so I went LCD to replace it whilst staying with plasma in the kitchen.
shadorn,
panasonic just came out with a model chek bestbuy.com its liek the 42px700u or something like that its 1080p and only 2300

I know. I needed a new TV several months ago (when the Sony 36" XBR CRT HDTV died) and native pixels was not yet available in a plasma of that small size (42"). A salesman insisted LCD was better anyway....I was not sure and it is very hard to tell in a store...but I did know that I wanted the full pixel resolution so I went LCD (Sharp Aquos actually, with an impressive 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio ....a BS specification IMHO but I bought it hook line and sinker...) and I regret it...although it is not a bad HDTV I am slightly disappointed in nighttime scene quality. Daylight scenes blaise out at you - almost like looking into the real SUN - not something I was really looking for!! You live you learn and that is the beauty of A'gon, you get to share both the good and the bad lessons learned....so others do not make the same mistake!!