fabulous Technics EPC-100 series re-tip

I'm pretty sure many of you guys own fabulous Technics MM EPC-100 (MM) in your rasenal, especially their top models like (P or C versions) MK3 and MK4.

The question is how to upgrade this cartridges with a new tip, cantilever, suspension:

-How can do the job properly and how much is it, how is the sound after upgrade compared to the original?

-How good is the motor of this cartridge?

-It's worth to invest more in new boron cantilever, new tip etc?

-No one can provide pressure fitted tip to the boron cantilever?

P.S. I know Axel can do the job, not sure if he can change the suspension, Soundsmith will not do that. VdH is not available in my area. Who else can treat that Technics MM right ?

Anyone on here did the same to their Technics EPC-100 mk3 or mk4 ?
128x128chakster

Showing 2 responses by fleib

Chakster,
Is the cantilever broken? Does it have a collapsed suspension, or just need a new stylus?

I doubt if anyone can replace the original tapered boron tube cantilever with an equivalent. They are generally unavailable, so if that's intact, I suggest you get a new needle only.

On the MM/MI thread there's a link to a photo of a Technics boron tube/stylus. J Carr said the stylus was too tall - extended out too far and would tend to rotate. You might want to discuss this w/re-tipper.
Regards,
Chakster,
Since it sounds so good maybe you could send it to someone for evaluation - look at the tip, tell you what it is and amount of wear. Seems like they did a good job on the suspension and cantilever repair, and someone with skill and an experienced eye can evaluate the situation and give you options. The question is who?

You can't go to VdH? Last I read Axel is backed up for a long time. Maybe you should check. I don't know who else in Europe. I have a Genesis 1000, also w/boron tube cantilever and Soundsmith replaced the tip with a micro. He wouldn't replace the cantilever as long as it was functional.
I believe he will give you an evaluation for a nominal fee. A tip replacement (micro) on an existing cantilever is $450, but if you request an evaluation he will discuss it with you first.

Other than that, maybe Garrott? I strongly suggest not replacing the cantilever if at all possible.

Regards,