everything sounded great until the upgrade

In short: I loved the sound of my modest system, until I upgraded my amp. Now it  sounds pretty horrible. It went from a warm sweet embracing easy-to-listen sound to knives and forks trying to escape from a bathtub.

So...

1. I can just unplug this new amp (used) and sell it

Any other options? I could upgrade my speakers but I have no budget for that.

2. I could sell the speakers and use money to buy used ones that go with the amp. 

3. Lastly I could change the source, but was it the culprit - to begin with?

btw - the sound of the "new" amp is decent with my turntable, and terrible with my CD player.

(If I wrote brands and models it would throw the discussion into "A sucks, B is great")

grislybutter

It could be that a new very good component now shows up how relatively poor the others are. This is common and if not careful leads you down the never ending audio rabbit hole. You buy better speakers, better speakers now need better amp, better amp now needs better DAC, better DAC now needs better source, all done, NIRVANA, no the old speakers are now the weakest link. You buy new speakers but ++++++++. Toe out of speakers means your ears and the extremely directional tweeters are not aligned, this can make speakers sound less bright.

@henry53 

except that I need to stick with my speakers and test other options, cables, DAC, smaller improvements. I received so many great suggestions, I am still playing with my system ,

Without knowing, it may in fact be that "X" sucks is your problem... impossible absent data.

But keeping it simple - you liked amp A, you dislike amp B.  What's the question?

Amp synergy is not usually a huge deal unless either the speakers or amp or both are way out on some extreme - which in most cases means flawed.

You will also hear "its break in".  Uh, not in extreme. As a professional designer do you know how many new and cold things i hear? Sure they sound better warm. But they don't sound bad cold....unless they are in fact bad.

Why did you buy something without hearing it first?  All the pointless bickering here aside, that's what matters - where the eardrums meet the air

I am afraid to upgrade, i dont need it, i dont want it, but i am also afraid to do it...

I already have a good synergy, for reason of S.Q./ price ratio , i cannot upgrade my 50 bucks top of the line Mission speakers nor my low cost dac marvel, then the amplifier?

I own 2 Sansui amplifier because i loved it so much...

Upgrade may be useless when you are in acoustic love.....

I am afraid to upgrade like someone afraid to lose his wife or trade her....

In spite of what most think , some minimal quality threshold being passed over by the gear, the electronical design change is less impactful on listening test than acoustic and psycho-acoustic change in the speakers/room relation...

A difference is not always or  so often than people think, a great acoustical improvement...

This is the information lacking in all audio threads...

Check it...