End of lp distortion. What does it sound like

I think I'm hearing end of lp ditortion. It sounds to me like a slight grundge is over the voice. Thing is I've gone over the set up many times and everything is checking out. What does the end of lp distortion sound like? I have ordered the counter intuitive to help tweak the azimuth, but what I'd like to know is what causes this ditortion in the set up and what is the best way to tune it out? Is TF the best place to start or does azimuth have more to do with it? I've ordered the MINT protractor to see if it will set me up better than the one supplied by VPI?
last_lemming

Showing 2 responses by philb7777

With 'end of LP', do you mean last track near the center of the record? This usually means you need to adjust anti-skate as skating forces are more severe in this area.

I would also help to know if the distortion is coming from both channels equally or from one channel in particular as it would also clue into anti-skate issues.

Typically, no anti-skate or as little as possible is the best, but if you are getting audible distortion, something must be done.

I doubt this is an azimuth issue. What VPI table, arm and cart are you using?
Your new DV cart is a good one. Since its new, start at the upper end of the recommended tracking force - between 2.1-2.2g. See if that helps. When the mint arrives, be patient and dial it in then.