EMM Labs on Bad Redbook

For those who have heard or own the Philips/EMM combo, how does it do with those compressed, veiled redbook discs from the 80s and early 90s? Take the Beatles' White Album or the Stones' Exile on Main Street as examples. How close can the Meitner gear get recordings like this to vinyl?

Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.
bsal

Showing 2 responses by merge038346

my experience has been that the better the digital source (and accompanying system), the worse those discs sound.
Despite the obvious flaws in many older analog tape recordings (SN ratio, audience noise, splices, etc.), they may in fact capture the musical information of the event, and therefore be quite enjoyable.

A poorly made digital recording, despite its superior specifications, may have left a lot (most?) of the music in the studio, and captured nothing but a hollow shell of the event.

The manner in which these recordings are mastered plays an equalling important role in the final product/sound. I have piles of CDs that I just can't listen to anymore as my system has improved. They just sound worse with every improvement. Of course the good recordings/masterings just sound better with every improvement.