Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
We're getting 6 inches of snow in Greensboro right now, so this is prime listening time

Has the makings for an Audiophile / Music Lover perfect storm.   8^0

For the benefit of the readers these are the set screws that Mike and myself are talking about.

Click on blue text 

ET2 Manifold and Set Screws

The Picture is courtesy of a good audio friend. Have not heard from him in a really long time.
If he sees this - Hope all is well !

A shout out for Mike's radio show info.
World Peace Party on WQFS Guilford College radio, 2-4 PM EST every Monday

WQFS

Click on the "tune in" button

Frogman - those Oak leaves are still falling, appear about 40% fallen, and when falling they seem to be attracted to our two storey eavestrough   :^(

Sometimes

I wonder what music Bruce listened/listens to when he sets up a customer tonearm.  

Have never asked him.    

Thanks for the picture of the manifold Chris.  Mine looks nothing like that.  Every screw hole has been, for lack of a better word, buffed.  The edges around the holes have been sanded to where the edge of the screw is merged with the manifold. Not sure why it's that way, but I'm sure Bruce will make it right. 

For now, I've set up two complete armwand / wire looms.  One for the Zephyr and one for the Delos using the carbon fiber and aluminum wands respectively.  My hope is that I can get them both properly calibrated and then be able to swap them out and not have to do a lot of re-alignment beyond SRA/ VTA and tracking weight.  It's not in my virtual system photos, but I do have one of those run-out gauges you can attach to the top of the tonearm manifold housing that allows you to see exactly what the current tonearm height is.  
Mike
that manifold picture was sent to me by my audio friend down in Southern California. He had bought the ET2 used (not sure where it was sourced from), but it’s a good sample of what can happen when one runs the tonearm in a humid dirty climate without proper filters / moisture control. The good thing is this is not like rust on a car, and it is easily cleaned up; if one is a Type A personality :^)

My Timeter Air pump heats up the air, then with coils, condenses the air, and drains the moisture into a pan inside the pump box, like a car’s AC system. It sends clean desert like air down the line. Have never seen any liquid buildup in the bulb next to the table (except for the time the pumps drain tube became plugged - a story in itself). I have had no reason to pull out the manifold to look at it, so not sure if the screws have been buffed like yours.

What I can tell you is being set up for 19 PSI, it is very difficult to push the spindle through manifold (tight) without the air on. With the air on it is the smoothest bearing.
Hi Chris
I also have a moister collecting bulbs but I've never seen a drop in them.  My JUN-AIR compressor is about 25 feet away and has a moisture collecting feature that must work pretty well.  Link to image below.   My spindle moves very easily under pressure, and stiffly with no pressure. The buffing on the manifold looks like someone has taken a dremel tool to the surface. I don't think it's from my air supply, but I'm just going to have to let Bruce tell me what's going on.  I will try to post a picture of it before I send it off.  http://www.jun-air.com/product_images/6-25.jpg
Hi Chris.  I realized I never responded to your question about using silk thread in lieu of the rubber belt.  For one, the noise floor is lower.  Speed stability I'm not sure of, but it's definitely as good as with the standard belt.  Getting the tension right is a PITA, as I have to move the entire turntable to change it.  FWIW, I'm using silk bead thread #2, and have had the same belt for a year now.  I snapped a few early on adjusting tension, but this latest one is still working just fine. 

I know we sometimes deviate from the main topic, and I'd like to do so. For the last two weeks I've been auditioning an Almarro A318B integrated amp and Vaugh Plasma Signature speakers. Mostly I've been swapping between two full arm looms (cartridge, arm wand, wiring), one with a Lyra Delos and one with a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC.  My findings are that the Delos has more body but doesn't dig out the details like the Soundsmith. The Delos seems more sensitive to  SRA and tracking force, while the Zephyr's ability to extract all that detail is very much tied to getting Azimuth just right.  I'm going to work on it again today, but just wanted to pass on these observations.  If someone has had a different experience, or any insights, I'm all ears.