Electrocompaniet EMC II CD Player

It seems like this player only run to the max with xlr balance interconnect, I had run them with both but on the rca my soundstage is collapsed there is no air and extension at all. Have anyone running into the same problem.
goone

Showing 10 responses by jm88439

That's an excellent suggestion and one I will look into. I don't mind doing a bit of Electrocompaniet's work for them if it will improve sonics. Now, if only the elusive Spider Clamp would emerge from its cacoon.
I'm running mine single ended with wonderful results. Collapsed soundstage?!? In my system the EMC-1UP has yielded the most impressive soundstage I've heard from a cdp. I would say that soundstaging is one of its greatest strengths. My only caveat concerning the EMC-1 has to do with ultimate focus. Not that it's bad, just not state of the art in that respect. I'm hoping the Spider Clamp will improve focus to some degree.
FS Audio....Didn't say my EMC-1 lacked focus, it's just not the last word in that regard judging by a couple of other top notch players I've heard recently IMS. Also compared my EMC-1 to a Accuphase DP-85 (16 Grand retail) in someone else's system system. The Accuphase was just a bit better focus wise. Overall however, I prefer the EMC-1 to most everything I've heard. Extremely musical despite my minor caveat. And yes, it is well isolated and being fed by a top notch ac cord. Btw, have you tried this mysterious Spider Clamp?
Subaruguru: My EMC-1 is the latest "UP" version. Still, I think focus is not the best I've heard. As far as the RCA v balanced connection thing goes. If indeed the RCAs are wired with cheap hook-up wire as you say, it does not speak well of EC considering the price of the machine IMO. Your statement brings another point to mind. Perhaps the differences we attribute to wire are not as significant as we like to think. Why? Well, I heard my EMC-1 through its balanced connections and in the same system (not mine), through its RCA connectors. There certainly was more headroom through the balanced. More punch, which I liked. Perhaps a smidge more direct sounding. Aside from that, I sure wouldn't go crazy looking for a new preamp for my own system to accomdate the EMC-1's balanced topology. Detail, soundstaging, frequency extention, etc.. It was all there through the "cheaply wired" RCAs.
At times I start to think that the Spider Clamp's obscurity is a deliberate ploy to heighten interest in it. Wow, it's here! I won't notice it costs way too much! Here's my hard earned $$$$! Gimme, gimme, gimme!!!!
Really, just how difficult can this clamp be to manufacture afterall? Btw, I looked under the hood of the EMC-1 for the first time. You're right about the hook-up wire, doesn't look like much. Frankly, the whole thing doesn't look like much. After 4 years of gazing at a BAT VK-D5 and its glorious build quality, the EMC-1 seems rather cheesy inside. Sonically however, it's a great player. Not worth $5500 however based on the sum total of its parts IMO. The European and Asian price of $2500 is more like it.
Well Tvad, that's very interesting. You are the first I've heard of that was not impressed with the improvement wrought by the Spider. Not that I've heard from that many, but the few that have commented have been quite enthusiastic. I wonder if you have installed it correctly? Given the play you're experiencing, this isn't an unreasonable question. Also, while I think the EMC-1UP a very good player, IMO, it can most definitely be improved upon sonically and I have heard that Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio has worked some magic with the player. Unfortunately, the magic comes at substantial expense for those willing to take the plunge. One look under the hood of the EMC-1UP and even a decidedly non techie like me can see it's not exactly built to the highest standards. IMO, it's quite a tribute to the designer's skills that the EMC-1UP sounds as good as it does considering the parts involved. As for the Spider, if I can get one at a discounted price, I'll still take the plunge despite your assessment. If it yields a 3-5% improvement, I'll be satisfied.
Tvad: I wanted to ask you about the Steve Nugent mods. Do they change the basic character of the EMC-1? One thing I really like about the EMC is that it is far less analytical sounding than many other players. I'd hate to end up with a player that leans towards a analytical, hyper detailed sound.
Hey Subaruguru, why so worried about spending a few hundred bucks on the Spider when you've purchased a cdp that's worth maybe half of what it retails for? Maybe. Sonics aside, there just ain't much inside the EMC-1UP. Don't get me wrong, I love my EMC-1UP as much as the next guy, but aside from being heavy, it's not that well built. At $5500 retail, it's waaaaay over priced IMO.

I'm still willing to give the Spider a try. Cello's assessement is interesting, but may not apply to me. If I end up having the same opinion of it, I'll still be happy to have a clamp that's of better quality than the cheap little puck included as stock. Frankly, they should include the Spider as standard on EMC-1s if you ask me.
I tried the XLR to RCA adapter thing and perceived no difference between it and straight RCA to RCA. My pre is a Supratek Syrah. It is possible that there was a slight audible difference that I did not appreciate as I was not overly patient in assessing the adapter setup. I've also heard the EMC in another setup using both straight XLR and straight RCA and while I perceived a sonic improvement with XLR, I was not motivated to dump my Syrah.

My intentions are to first purchase and listen to the Spider on my EMC and then, at a later date, have Steve Nugent install his transport mods only. Not sure if I'll go for the full blown mods at this time.
Subaruguru, all those decent parts must be very discrete indeed. I must admit to not being a techie type, but to these eyes, there just ain't much there any way you slice it. I've also heard similar opinions from those much more technically oriented than I. Take a look under the hood of a BAT D5 cdp. Then you'll see $4500 worth of parts and solid build quality. Now, does the D5 sound as good? IMO, no, not in most areas. It does however sound better in two. Focus and the quality of voices. I'm referring to the original D5 with NOS Amperex and Siemens tubes only and not the SE version which is inferior IMO. As for those jaws dropping? I'm not surprised that those accustomed to listening to budget gear were impressed. There's no doubt the EMC will easily outperform something like a Rega Planet. It better for the $$$.