EL34 in triode vs 300B/845 SET

Hi All,

I thank you ahead if some of you already helped out with my previously related post.  Quick story, I currently use a Dared VP-300B SET and just loving the sound but since I'm using B&W805 D3 I keep wondering if better higher current/watt amp would further impress me.  The best SET in the market seems to be 805B driven by 300B, very very expensive (thinking Line Magnetic 219ia).  I've been reading that EL34 due to it's design gets very close to 300B SET when wired in triode mode.  It seems far more economical to get the romantic lush sound and lots more power (relative to SET) with EL34B in triode then going 845/805 tubes (especially considering high heat).  Any anyone can share experience with above since there're lot of EL34 triode/UL amp out there these days?

I'm also wondering since Dared VP-300B is a very entry level 300B SET, if upgrading to more expensive ones like Line Magnetic or AudioSpace or Cary...etc would make big difference with fuller body sound?  Or maybe SET is SET and won't get too huge leap of a difference.

Thanks.

hifineubee

Thanks glenn for info.  Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised with 300B SET, seems that many people have the false assumption that 300B SET is automatically bad for anything non-flat 8ohm and less than 92db sensitivity.  I started with NuPrime ID8, then B&K EX442, then Parasound Halo Integrated then Marantz HD-AMP1.  So far my SET amp is the best performer among above (though no where nearly perfect).  The biggest deficiency for 20% of my music recorded in full dynamic range 'classical/orchestral' is lack of power.  Hence I'm looking for economy way to get more power for comparison.

Thanks to mboldda1 and several others who've been recommending Mastesound, I'm just not quite ready to shell out $3000+tax without a great demo first hence still doing my research

@hifinubee "I’ve been reading that EL34 due to it’s design gets very close to 300B SET when wired in triode mode."

As someone who has built a number of tube amplifiers of varying types, and reached the point of holding several factors either constant or going in the same direction, I can tell you the folks writing those things are incorrect. The EL34 and 300B have VERY different characters. That holds up regardless of whether the EL34 runs in triode, ultralinear, or pentode operation. Some may try to draw parallels as the midrange of each tube represents its strength. That said, solid state / tube rectification, driver / phase splitter topology, and fixed / cathode bias make at least as much difference as the actual output tube.

Likewise, I disagree with folks who feel the 211, 805, or 845 represent the best sounding SETs. The 45, 2A3, and 300B, in that order generally grade out at the top of the more widely implemented types, though an obviously less sympathetic loudspeaker requires those larger tubes.

If I may, my suggestion is to hold on to the Dared 300B SET you like so much, and seek out a better partner in the loudspeaker
hi mboldda1, i'm located around Seattle area.

trelja, how would you describe EL34 vs 300B?  I listened to a Primaluna Dialouge Premium HP at local dealer through a pair of Living Voices Auditorium.  Honestly while it was very good I wasn't completely floored, maybe my expectations too high.  I've listened to other higher sensitivity speakers like Reference 3A and some giant single driver speaker (forget brand), still have yet to find something to steering me away from B&W 800 series yet... =(