Early 1970's rock: Name some of your favorites

I've been listening to a local FM station a little more recently and have been enjoying some of the "flashbacks" that they've been playing. I'm primarily talking about stuff from Bowie, Roxy Music, Velvet Underground and yes, even the Stones, etc...

As such, i thought it would be neat to dredge up the past and ask some of you to contribute a "few" of your favourite albums from this time. This might also help others find some "gems" that may have been overlooked. Just remember, we're talking early to mid 1970's, not your favourite rock albums of all time. Sean
>
sean

Showing 6 responses by oneprof

I hate to admit it, but I actually went to a Kiss concert; of course we REALLY went to see the opening act--REO Speedwagon, again, way before "Keep on loving you" cr*p, and left before Kiss even started. Now having said that, I do think that there were some half-decent songs on (I think) the first Kiss album--Black Diamond and Strutter.
Mandatory 8 tracks for cruising in the car while doing various questionable things.....That 70's show is the perfect generation for me!.
Lots of southern rock--Outlaws (Green grass and high tides!), Henry Gross (rare one), CHarlie Daniels band, Marshall Tucker (already mentioned)
Lots of hard rock--ZZ Top (La Grange), Aerosmith (Toys in the Attic)
More progressive things--Head East; I STILL listen to this!, Queen, or course, as mentioned above; WIshbone Ash Argus, Nils Lofgren Cry Tough,
My own personal favorite--Be-Bop Deluxe

By the way, in 1974? (not sure of the year) we saw Queen, Aerosmith, and Mott the Hoople. Some buddies of mine got backstage somehow and wondered into Queen's dressing room. I don't know where I was, and probably didn't know where I was at the time either!
Well, KF, it's good to know that some of you 'youngsters' appreciate good music, anyhow!!

I forgot one--REO Speedwagon, no not that 'Keep on loving you' s***, but Early stuff, like the album with "Riding the storm out' on it!
And how about Styx--no not 'MIsterRoboto', but 'Lady'
Mwilson, I've got a Happy the man LP; some of the guys I was in college with knew some of the Happy the Man musicians somehow; I was going to mention Steve Hillage too, especially 'L'--his best solo work in my opinion. 'FIsh Rising' was good too.
Oh, yeah, another GREAT progressive 70's band--Crack the sky. 'Animal Notes' and Safety in numbers; I still listen to that.
Ben, not to quibble, but are you sure of your dates? Be-Bop Deluxe Axe Victim and Futurama were 1974 releases, Night at the Opera is copyrighted 1975 on my MOFI Cd. I'm sure I listened to Styx "Lady" and whichever REO album had 'Riding the Storm Out' on it while a junior in high school, which would been 75, although since I don't have those LP's I can't be certain. Of course, given my 'state of mind' those days, I'm surprised I can remember anything!
Ben, no need to explain. Your point is well taken and certainly valid.whFrankly, I wasn't sure of the dates myself until I looked them up, and I'm still not sure about early Styx and REO. I'm just happy to see that somebody else out there appreciates Bill Nelson; I paid big bucks on ebay for the CD reissue of 'Live in the Air Age', and I still think that the Yorkshire Landscape solo on there is one of the best and most unique solos in rock guitar history. I only wish I could have seen them live back then.