EAR 834P vs. Audio Research PH-3

I am currently using a EAR 834P as my phono stage and have thought about trying the Audio Research PH3 but don't know whether it would be worth it. Any thoughts?

I would be running it with an AES AE-3 (or a Melos 110b if I can't sell it) and an AES SE 1 sig. using the 300B. Also, I am using a Benz Micro Glider HO on a VPI Jr. and the rewired Rega RB300 arm.

Thanks for all your help!
jeffrey
128x128pluto_4

Showing 5 responses by cpdunn99

thanks, fatparrot, for the additional info about securing the circuit board. I'll check to see if it is true for mine. It's a little newer, so maybe EAR changed the design.
pluto,

have you tried rolling the tubes in the EAR? (hmmm....that could be taken as a rather kinky question!).
Thanks for those opinions, Marakanetz!

I have an EAR coming in the post soon, and the tubes were traded out for telefunkens. I'm not sure what it is going to sound like, but there are as many opinions about tubes as about the equipment itself!
fatparrot:

On Nov. 5, you state that "the circuit board [of the EAR] is not supported properly. The front corners of the board are actually floating free."

I read somewhere that it is supposed to be this way in order to reduce vibration. It's an isolation thing.
What you think of this EAR mod?!

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/108318.html