Dynaudio Sappires vs Focal Sopra 2's

Has anyone compared Dynaudio Sapphires with Focal Sopra 2's?. I own the Sapphires and love them but......... was VERY IMPRESSED with the Focal Sopra 2's. Not sure if they really are this impressive or am I just going through the change bug again $$$$. Any comments from those of you that have heard both are appreciated!
2bz

Showing 2 responses by reynolds853

I do not have any experience with these two speakers but wanted to say that the Sapphire uses my favorite tweeter, the Esotar.  For my tastes, and provided that we are talking about similarly sized speakers, I would not change from a speaker that uses that tweeter (provided it is implemented well) to a speaker with a metal tweeter.  However, in my speakers I upgraded the internal wiring (to Kimber TCX) and crossover components.  I took my crossover outboard which permitted me to use much better capacitors (Duelund CAST-Cu) and inductors (Mundorf 10AWG ribbon).  Upgrading the resistors makes a big difference too.  Depending on where one is trying to take the speaker the Duelund CAST resistors can be used to good effect, as well as the Mundorf M-Resist resistors, which is what I ended up using in my crossover.  If one wanted to keep the crossover internal there are other capacitor and inductor options available that would still make for a substantial improvement, in my opinion at least, over the stock crossover.

The other piece of the puzzle, and what I should have asked sooner, is what about the Sopra 2 speaker impressed you over the Sapphires?  I've had friends ask for my help in upgrading their speaker components and the first question I ask is what are their goals for the project, so that's the question I would pose here.

But for me the Sapphires use my favorite drivers and a first order crossover - the perfect starting point for a nice crossover upgrade project.

Cheers,

John
Paul,

I certainly know how how our hobby goes... always something!

I look forward to hearing your impression of the Sopra 2's.

Best wishes,

John