DV-50s vs Krell SACD Standard vs Denon 3910 mod

Would sincerely appreciate some experienced guidance or commentary on this.

Here's my situation: Want a great SACD/CD player, happy with a 'good' DVD/DVD-A player - or a universal biased towards SACD/Redbook CD performance.

I'd thought of an Underwood/Partsconnexion mod'd DVD-5900 or 3910, but think I'd be setting myself up for losing even more $$$ when I go to upgrade...
So, have been thinking of the Teac Esoteric DV-50s, or Krell SACD Standard [since CD is my priority]

I've seen the Krell vs Esoteric thread ... but wonder what else I should consider in the $2k-$5k range ?
Happy to buy a good used model in that range as well
jsbsanfran

Showing 5 responses by avguru

Lazarus,

AVGURU here, the originator of the DV-50 thread. I love you, man! Some of your comments were right on. You speak your mind like I do. I like your boldness and conviction of your words. The DV 50 is a great, great universal player.....the best one on the the market today and only bested by the Esoteric UX1...the new $13,000 model which I now have in my home and soon hope to face off against 711's latest APL 3910 with the modded clock. I still own my DV 50 and love it. It should have never been referred to as a "Radio Shack". Knowing 711 as I do, he is excitable and has apologized. Please accept it.

Most of the comparisons done on my thread (where other units have bested the DV 50) were primarily in redbook. I have not compared these other units to the DV 50 in DVD-A, DVD-Video, multi-channel SACD, etc. Only a limited amount of time was spent comparing 2 channel SACD playback and those results are not yet conclusive. So in my opinion no one can claim that these modded units are better than the DVD-50 until a full shootout in all formats is conducted.

There is no other universal player on the market today (made by a major manufacturer...i.e Pioneer, Denon, Bel Canto, McCormack, Krell, etc) that's better than the DV 50. In that arena the DV 50 still reigns. However, if the these modded units can duplicate their redbook performance in the other aforementioned formats they will be superior to the DV 50. However, that is a BIG IF. Some of these modded units lose their multi-channel or DVD-Video capability after being modded. Most don't allow for balanced connections. All of this has to be taken into consideration when determining what's the best.

Lazarus, what I have come to find out is that the major players (Esoteric, Krell, etc) only spend 1/5th to 1/6th of retail on actual mfg costs and overhead. The DV 50 retails for $5,500 and Esoteric's total investment (parts, labor, marketing, advertising, etc) is less than $1,000. That's a shocker but its true...trust me. A high end dac is only $20. A power supply (transformer)about $30. The list goes on and on. Capacitors, caps, wiring are even less. When you consider the retail and distributor mark-ups (which I know but won't reveal) the manufacturers mark-up is at least 300% and probably as high as 500%.

With the modders, they can pick the best parts available on the market (its actually in their best interest to do so as they are in intense competition with other modders and there is a much smaller pool of customers willing to buy modded units). Additionally, they have nowhere near the overhead of the major mfg's so most of their mark-up is
on the labor side.

So you can buy a mid-fi unit that's outfitted with the best parts available and modded to the max (just how you like it)for around $3,000-$4,000 and probably less if you know how to negiotiate. Actually, these are not even mod's..they're total redesigns. So its really not a Denon or Pioneer or Sony..its a new unit only using the shell.

As you can see, the potential exists to get much more value for your money and a better product when buying from the better redesigners. And that's why these units have the potential to really outperform the major market product. The major mfg's are making a product with an eye on costs and profit first. Performance criteria is a distant 2nd, 3rd or fourth consideration. This is not true with all mfg's but with many of them.

Since all of these mfg's follow the same mark-ups and use the same distributers and buy parts from the same companies (Burr Brown, Crystal, Motorola to name a few) the quality they can provide at a given price point really doesn't vary much from mfg to mfg.

Esoteric hit the jackpot with the DV 50 because they were the first ones to correctly determine that interest in an audiophile level universal player was strong enough that consumers were willing to pay a much higher price than what other mfg's thought the market would bear for a top of the line universal. Most of the universals before the DV 50 were around $2,000-$3,000. The extra $2,500 Esoteric charged allowed them to make a better product without compromising (and probably even increasing) their almighty profit targets.

And unfortunately, the only way Esoteric can substantially improve upon the performance of the DV 50 (and again maintain if not increase their profit margins) is to now charge $13,000 for the UX1 and X01. They're probably targeting a 500% profit margin on these units rationalizing that even if they reach only 30-40% of the volume they had on the DV 50 they'll still make out like fat cats.

I'm willing to bet the modders can produce units that exceed the performance of the UX1 and X01 for about $5,000-$6,000. I may even find in my continued shoot-out that the APL or Modwright units already exceed the performance of these Esoteric units. And this is the part that makes me angry...that we as audiophiles have to pay so much money to appease a mfg's over-zealous and greedy profit margins when similar or better quality can be had for much less. To
add insult to injury, Esoteric's warranty is only 1 YEAR
whereas I'm sure all of these mod guys would be willing to back up their products over the life of the unit.

Don't get me wrong...audio is not any different than other industries (jewelry, automobiles, etc) that also have outrageous profit margins. So I don't want to come across as unfairly picking on this industry when there are others that are worse. But I take the same approach in any consumer good that I buy...know the mark-ups, determine what's a good value and buy accordingly. If it weren't for the fact that I know the profit margins and have developed relationships with dealers that allow me to get great deals I'd probably buy all my audio equipment from people like Dan Wright or Alex.

Lazarous, Enjoy your DV 50 and know there is no other universal mass produced universal that can better it. But also take your own advice and give a listen to some of these modded units. You might be surprised at what you hear!

Enjoy the music,

AVGURU

TBG,

Both 711 and I came to the conclusion that although the Exemplar 3910 was a very good player (great detail, openeness, accuracy, etc) it was not the most musical of the players included in the shoot-out. 711 feels that the APL 3910 (even before the new clock)was the most musical unit. In my opinion the Dan Wright modded Sony (9000ES) was the most musical and best player. After now listening to the modded Sony in two other systems since that shoot-out I'm even more convinced that it is the better unit.

The players in the shoot-out were Alex's APL 1000, DV 50,
Modwright Sony 9000ES, APL 3910 and Exemplar 3910. I currently have the Esoteric UX1 in my posssession for a home demo and hope to face it off this week (with 711 and others from our thread present) against the APL 1000, 2 modded Sony's and the APL 3910. 711 sold his Exemplar.

Regardless of system matching, one can still determine via shoot-outs which player is the better unit. I agree the best unit may not "ALWAYS" sound the best in a particular system due to system synergy and matching issues, but it should 8 out of 10 times if its clearly superior.

UHH, I just have one question for you, TBG. Exactly when and where was it that you compared the Exemplar 3910 to the Esoteric UX1? On what system? And exactly how did you conclude that the Exemplar 3910 was superior to the UX1? Or did you make the "assumption" that it was better than the UX1 since its better than the DV 50 (which I agree it is)?

See, the reasons we do these shoot-outs is because people make statements and then can not back them up with any proof (via written results or an open listening forum with many attendees)that one unit clearly outperformed another.
Everything that we've auditoned so far has been documented in my thread.

Just so you know, my initial listening tests (1 day only) of the UX1 (vs. my clear recollection of the Exemplar sound)leads me to believe that they are very close and share more similarities than differences. If in fact the exemplar is better it is only by the very smallest of margins. And in SACD I can already tell you the Esoteric is better..hands down. Which leads me to believe that when we bring in the X01 it will be the best of them all but not necessarily the most muscial due to a lack of a tube output stage.

Keep tuned to our thread. I won't have time to comment anymore on this thread but I did want to make at least one rebuttal.

AVGURU
DJA,

I respect your choices in gear and I'm glad you're enjoying both units. I must admit I like how you are utlizing both units. The DV 50 is really, really good in multi-channel for both DVD-A and SACD. The Krell is an excellent redbook and SACD player.

If I may make a couple of music recommendations...try Ray Charles new SACD multi-channel "Genious Loves Company" as well as Eric Clapton and B.B Kings latest calaboration "Ridin With the King" on mult-channel DVD-A. Both are superb. Special mention goes to the Ray Charles disc...the orchestra arrangements are simply breath-taking.
To enjoy the BB King disc at its best use a subwoofer..the ".1" recorded bass track is excellent and should be spotlighted instead of played through your main speakers.

Regarding the Krell SACD standard, I thought it was smoother than the DV 50 on redbook but lacked the dynamics and detail of the DV 50. You may want to try a high end platform and good power cord on the DV 50 and do another AB test. You might be surpised at the results.

Oh..one another thing that you probably don't want to hear. The Esoteric UX1 and X01 are twice as good as the DV 50 on multi-channel music. Now that's a scary thought!

Enjoy the music!

AVGURU
Kana813,

It really doesn't help anyone on this thread for you to talk about how glorious sounding a system is if you can't remember any of the vital information such as the manufacturer of the components, model number, etc. That's like someone talking about what a beautiful vacation they had and then when asked where they went their response is "I don't remember".

Guido asked you a valid question about how you heard Esoteric gear that to our knowledge is not yet avialable in the U.S. or if avaialbe on a very limited basis. First you tell him you're not familair with the specific model numbers he mentioned. Then later you say "in addition to the PO/GO combination...". I'm confused. Are you faimailir with the models in question or not?

Furthermore, your rather abrasive and presumptious comment " People who want and can afford the best know how to get it" is rather unecessary and offensive. Exaxctly what does that mean?

In the case of Guido, who by the way is a very well paid Engineering manager at IBM and is also 100% blind, a descriptive analysis of the components and sound is quite important as in some respects the feedback he receives here on A-gon serves as his "eyes and ears" and aids in his decision process.

Furthermore, there are some one box solutions on the market today that I would put up against any dac/transport system including Forsell, Meitner, Audio Aero, etc.

Your arrogance is annoying. You need to talk to your Maui partner who goes by the name of "Hawaii Kid" on A-gon. Although he has owns some of the top gear available today he still finds time to buy "mundane" one box solutions like DV 50's, Opus Audio, etc. And he is always happy to give very detailed and unbiased opinions based on his experience with "actual" product names that he can remember instead of spouting superlatives about gear he heard in passing.

Lighten up! It's only audio equipment and a hobby.

AVGURU
Kana813,

I am the originator of one of the best, most interesting and most well responded to threads going on Audiogon now. Over 375 responses and still going strong. Look up my member name and my active threads and you'll see it.

You're right...I am not the moderator of this thread nor do I wish to be so. I just felt some of your responses were inappropriate and I'm a big believer in treating people with common courtesy and respect.

Anyway, I'm off this thread now so you don't have to worry about me "butting in" on your dialogue with others.

Enjoy the Music!

AVGURU