dual 505-3

Yesterday, I picked up an old Dual 505-3 turntable in immaculate condition, save for the stylus.

The table has a carbon fibre ortofon headshell (apparently the original one) and the stylus is of the sort that can be upgraded by simply sliding it off the tip of the cartridge and slipping a better stylus on in its place.

This version of cartridge can take the OM5, OM10, OM20, OM30 and OM40 styli, with the 40 being the top end.

The original cost of the OM40 is $300-400 (CAD), however I can get it for $175. \

Despite this being a good deal on the OM40 stylus, is the table itself too much of a limiting factor to warrant this expenditure, despite the 'deal'? Would it be better to use a new ortofon 2M red instead, purchased for $100?
loose

Showing 1 response by stanwal

I would go with the RED. I have one and it is quite good. The headshell is the part of the arm that holds the cartridge, as in this arm has a removable headshell. What you are referring to is the cartridge BODY , as opposed to the stylus, which is the removable part on yours. You can also upgrade the stylus on the RED body later if you want to.