Down graded, with fantastic results

I sold some gear recently to raise some cash. I sold a pair of Cary/AES Six Pacs mono amps, a Cary/AES DJH preamp and a pair of B&W 703 speakers. I purchased a pair of Tyler Acoustic Ref. monitors and a Jolida 302b integrated amp to go along with my Jolida CD player, all wired with Signal cable speakers. My wife does not usually comment on the "sound" of our system, but last night when the Jolida amp finally arrived, she loved the sound of it. I must admit, it does sound fantastic! And at a fraction of the cost of my former gear! $2,050 is the cost of the new stuff. $6,200 was the cost of the AES and B&W gear.
gretsch6120

Showing 12 responses by gretsch6120

Yes indeed, purchased a new Gibson 175, jazz box! My new stuff is awesome! It has such sweet, beautiful mids. I was listening to some Wes Montgomery, he was IN my living room. Next came "American Beauty" by the Grateful Dead, the HDCD remaster, another fantastic listening experience. Now, my old gear was very nice, maybe a bit more bass slam, but my new stuff is warmer and more intimate sounding, if that makes sence. The Tyler Acoustics throw such a huge sound stage.
I agree with the system upgrade! I must fight that urge! One thing that I will upgrade are the speakers. Tyler Acoustic's upgrade plan is a no brainer. 100% of your money back toward an upgrade, you can't beat that. While I love my Ref. Montiors, I know that I will love one of his bigger models even more!
Global negative feedback?! I'm talking about listening to music. Getting rid of the Six Pacs was not a mistake, while I really enjoyed them, but I am enjoying listening to MUSIC just as much with my Jolida. That is a problem with the audiophile public; some of us tend to focus too much on analyzing gear as opposed to listening to music.
Bombaywalla - please don't take my comments personal, I just find people tend to focus on gear and not the actual music.
Bombaywalla - All I ment was I do not want to get into the analytical side of audio equipment, I just want to be happy with what I have and spend my $$ on music. BTW - what are your musical preferences? I enjoy jazz, (which really shines on my new gear), blues, old rock and roll and Cajun/zydeco (I play guitar in a zydeco band).
Gotcha, yes, I down sized my speakers as well. From B&W 703 to Tyler Acoustic Ref. Monitors. Love the Tylers!
Big smile here, yes indeed. Currently listening to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messangers - "Like Someone in Love".
I did feel that Bomb was doing a bit of bubble bursting. Still smiling! Now listening to Ryan Adams - "Jacksonville City Nights".
Dave - actually I purchased a Heritage 575 (2005 model), very similiar to the Gibby 175, made in the old Kalamazzo, MI factory. I also have a Heritge 535, like a Gibby 335. They are fantasic guitars! I have a Tele and a Gretsch 6120 Nashville also. I love guitars (maybe more that audio gear!) I love jazz guitar, Grant Green is one of my favs. Dave, do you play in a band? I play with a Zydeco band in SW Louisiana. Bomb - you really did not burst my bubble, I appreciate your honest and educated assesment of things ;>)!