Does anyone have information on Denon POA S1

Category: Amplifiers

This is supposedly a statement piece from Denon. Huge Mono Amp with retail of $40,000/pair. 250W/8 ohms, 500W/4ohms, 1000W/2ohms, and 1400W/1ohm. I have searched far and wide for independent information but could not find any. Please don't just dismis it because it is a Denon, however I would like your honest, educated opinion.
Notable specs: 19 X 11 X 27, S/N 112(n), 120(XLR). Weight 175 lbs each, etc.
ronwangu

Showing 1 response by upgrade1394

I have owned the POA-S1 pair for about 5 years now and am absolutely mesmerized by them! Real warmth, liquidity with a tremendous bass control. These amps really need a 20amp circuit to come alive and run only moderately warm after 2-3 hours use. Extremely handsome and well made, I have not seen anything better or HEARD anything better so far. Note: I have not heard latest Krell EVO or PASS Labs and any other amps over $30K (e.g. like the silly 300k pair reviewed in S'phile) so take my statement with limitations. Due to space imitations and need to inc orporate the amps in a HT set-up I am running them with the Krell HTS 5.1 processor. I did hook them with the matching PRA-S1 and the sound was totally no-fatiguing and extremely transparent. The down side was the stack of gold finish units in middle of my theater room (2 huge POA-S1 and pre plus its power supply) which would reflect light off the screen when projector is in use. I strongly recommend these amps at nowadys used price of around $10K (+/- 1K) for those considering the Krells, Mark Levinson (latest are not good, try the 300 series) or Pass Labs. NOTE: I have no experience with tube amps.