Do NOT Blow Your Entire Budget on Two Channel Audio

Yes, two channel audio is here, and is not going away. However, object based audio is delightful, widely available on Tidal and Apple Music, and should be in the listening room of every music lover on the planet, not just "audiophiles. If you plan to be a music fan a year from now start building your object based audio system today. You will need:

1) A receiver/processor capable of Dolby Atmos.

2) A subscription to Tidal or Apple music.

3) A Firestick, ATV, or Nvidia Shield.

4) A minimum of 7 timber matched speakers and a subwoofer.

Once you experienced stereo would you ever go back to only mono? No, you would build a system capable of either mono or stereo. Now that object based audio has arrived do the same thing. Build a system capable of mono, stereo, AND object based audio. When Elton John heard Rocket Man in an object based format for the first time why did he demand to convert his entire catalog to Atmos? If you don’t know, then you need to go listen to Rocket Man in a good Atmos setup ASAP.

So, take your budget, DIVERSIFY, and get a good Atmos capable receiver or processor. Object based audio is NOT last decades surround sound or home theater. It is for MUSIC first, if you need a recommendation on how to allocate your budget feel free to post a question. Most importantly, you don’t NEED two systems, one for music and one for movies. A good object based audio system can play two channel music just fine. A two channel system on the other hand can’t play object based audio without a proper processor or receiver.

Greg Penny talks mixing Rocket Man in Atmos.

https://youtu.be/ggzfcUKDqdo?feature=shared

kota1

Showing 3 responses by deep_333

@mahgister , I use BACCH in my 2 channel rig. It is definitely a step above purist stereo, but, it is certainly no substitute for a dedicated rig built around object based audio. For one who has not experienced the latter, BACCH can be quite impressive.

Global sales of vinyl, CDs and other physical formats increased 4% in 2022, accounting for $4.6 billion of the $26.2 billion worldwide music market,

Physical media accounts for ONLY 17.5% of the worldwide music market? That is not exactly exciting news.

@kota1 Personally, i wouldn’t just stream tidal/qobuz, etc, i.e. rent music and call it good. For example, I use my Qobuz subscription to discover new music. But, any album i discover/like, I buy it off Qobuz for permanent ownership. The Qobuz sublime subscription gives you 50 to 60% on so many hires official studio masters and it can be had for 7 or 8 bucks a pop. A freaking steal is what it is...😁 when you consider how much vinyl or a cd costs. Vinyl plastic dudes will want that pristine sounding official studio master botched so they can press it on vinyl and spin it. CD dudes may do the same with their redbook CDs. The latter is a stupid thing to do (as you can imagine), when you can have the unbotched official studio masters for way cheaper these days. But, ya can’t ever fix the the dummins (no point in saying anything at all).

Anyways, I download these hires masters, keep them in my NAS and permanently own them!! I like it that way!!

This is a head scratcher. The OP is trying to convince us to spend significant time and resources on “immersion” to audiophiles interested in “higher fidelity”, 2 completely different targets and experiences that is not related besides both being in audio. I like driving my car which doesn’t mean I’d be willing to put time and effort into drifting, drag racing, etc.

@kennyc

You seem to be content with your stereo (a 90 year old technology), no problem there.

But, some technological advancement from the very smart guys at Dolby, DTS, Sony, Yamaha, etc offered the potential to create high fidelity multichannel/object based/immersive rigs starting around 2014. There are significant costs and a learning curve associated with putting together such a high fidelity rig. It is very very different from the barrel bottom receivers and sht speakers popped into ceilings, which is typically associated with immersive audio in purist stereo circles. But, once, you hear the former, it is hard to unhear it.

For some of us, life is short and we like to experience things like that before the finite lifespan ends.

It is not really a question of finances these days because i know a lot of guys who will drop 80k on a truck clean and easy ( i.e. for a chunk of metal on wheels that will take a guy from point a to point b, whoop di doo). I’ll nix the 80k for a goofyass truck and spend it on such a rig...makes me happier...( different priorities)